New LED third brake lights - close to stock!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did replace my 3rd brake light about 3 years ago and really forgot what brand it was atm. Might be AZO but i ran into a problem. It was supposed to be plug and play and it did look great but the led would stay one even when the truck was off. i took it to an electrical shop and they fixed that but i lost my cargo light though.

Did anyone else run into this problem and how did they fix it?

The Anzos definitely don't have those issues, they're 100% plug and play.

I've seen people say that some of the cheaper eBay lights have these issues and the most common fix I see is to "disconnect the yellow wire at the plug." I'd investigate further before you go chopping wires though as I'm sure none of these Chinese manufacturers stick to the same wiring colors.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Yep, some of the LED 3rd brake lights do that. I had bought a black housing with smoke lens brake light and the brake light stayed on all the time. Cut the yellow wire and turned the brake light off finally, but the cargo light would stay on all the time when the switch was on, instead of turning off with the dome light like it should've. I ended up giving the light to my dad and now a couple LEDs burnt out on it lol, sure didn't last too long, and I had to pay $35 for it I think, now they are $25 of course.

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One way to go about a not ideally fitting lamp is to take the old stock lamps seal and put that on. Silicone works of course, but getting it off, should you need to, may get troublesome. I bought one of those cheap 1 row smoked chinese lights and when it didn't fit, that's what I did. Works beautiful but doesn't quite look the way I'd want it to. The light, that is, not the seal. Also note that I used both seals, the new one that came with the lamp and the old one. Should I ditch the topper, I'm seriously debating buying one like in the original post, it doesn't look the part 100% but much better than most other aftermarket lights!

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Side note to anyone having difficulty with sealing an aftermarket unit... Have you all tried running a small bead of silicone around the perimeter before tightening it down? I had to do that on my red truck due to the XM antenna wire running through that opening. It's worked like a charm for the past five years or more.

This is what I did. No issues yet

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One way to go about a not ideally fitting lamp is to take the old stock lamps seal and put that on. Silicone works of course, but getting it off, should you need to, may get troublesome. I bought one of those cheap 1 row smoked chinese lights and when it didn't fit, that's what I did. Works beautiful but doesn't quite look the way I'd want it to. The light, that is, not the seal. Also note that I used both seals, the new one that came with the lamp and the old one. Should I ditch the topper, I'm seriously debating buying one like in the original post, it doesn't look the part 100% but much better than most other aftermarket lights!
My OEM seal was junk.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Side note to anyone having difficulty with sealing an aftermarket unit... Have you all tried running a small bead of silicone around the perimeter before tightening it down? I had to do that on my red truck due to the XM antenna wire running through that opening. It's worked like a charm for the past five years or more.

Have you had any problem with the silicone attracting dirt? Most clear silicones are pretty "oily" and dirt will permanently adhere to it. The colored silicones are not nearly as bad.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you had any problem with the silicone attracting dirt? Most clear silicones are pretty "oily" and dirt will permanently adhere to it. The colored silicones are not nearly as bad.

Nope, but I was pretty careful to wipe off any excess while it was still wet.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
This light arrived quicker than I was expecting. Ordered on the 20th, and got it today.
As promised, I temporarily mounted it up to check fit, and function...

You must be registered for see images attach

I think the brake light could stand to be brighter, but should still get attention...

The cargo lights look to be pretty decent.

Fit is workable on this regular cab, but definitely not perfect.

It also comes with a piece of 3M double sided tape, which might be enough to help seal it up.

The fact that they used 3M, and not some no name tape, to me is a good sign of some sort of quality.

Look forward to getting all my lights upgraded, and installing all at once.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That actually looks pretty decent. I wish the gasket was a little more uniform to the housing but other than that it looks good.

EDIT - Was it plug and play or did you need to modify wiring?