L31 towing cam upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Talloneus

Reaction score
I missed the idea of advancing the cam. I would not suggest it. The 7395 has an early IVC as it is. Been a while since I degreed either cam, but I want to say the 7395 actually closes the intake valve a few degrees before the stock L31 1264 cam does. It definitely builds more cylinder pressure at peak torque, requiring attention to the advance curve especially around peak torque to prevent detonation. If you go with the 7395, degree it in on a 106 ICL and let it eat.

For slightly less dynamic compression ratio and ease of running 87 octane, consider the Summit 8800. The 8800 is basically a roller version of the old 204/214 RV cams that found their way in every kind of smog era SBC to perk them up a bit. The 8800 could us a bit of cam advance because Summit calls for it to drop-in at a bit too late of an ICL for my taste in a L31.

Follow this post. He got it up, running and driving on the stock tune.
so, essentially, if i go with the 7395, put it in at 0*, and getting a proper tune is essential for 87.

and if I dont wanna get a tune, run the summit 8800 cam, with new rockers and a touch of head work, and will work fine on the stock tune, but will wake up if I do get it tuned

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
so, essentially, if i go with the 7395, put it in at 0*, and getting a proper tune is essential for 87.

and if I dont wanna get a tune, run the summit 8800 cam, with new rockers and a touch of head work, and will work fine on the stock tune, but will wake up if I do get it tuned

The tune on a bone stock engine is worth more power than either cam.

Talloneus

Reaction score
Headers, high flow cats, free flowing muffler and tuning woke my van up more than any small cam ever did.
I wanna do all of that with a cam. My plan is to shell out for the intake, headers, and exhaust, before the cam, and do the cam and tune at the same time. tune it once kinda deal

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad to see that this thread got some traction! I wish I could report that my truck is tuned and running killer with the new engine and 0411 ecm swap... But, I got hit by a moving truck last week and got my bed smashed in. So that's fun... Dealing with Insurance right now. The delivery truck driver in front of me missed his turn, slammed on his brakes hard, and started backing up without looking while I was stopped behind him. All on a busy street... I darted in to the side street, but didn't quite make it. Smashed the drivers side of my bed and also smashed the side of my bumper with his lift gate. Launched my tail light right off the truck. He also tried running away, but I caught up with him. Hopefully I will be back on track once my bed is replaced.

Good Times!!!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The delivery truck driver in front of me missed his turn, slammed on his brakes hard, and started backing up without looking... All on a busy street... He also tried running away
Dude doesn't need to be a delivery driver. I'm sure he's a "contractor" so that the company can pretend he's not their employee nor their problem.

Sorry to hear it. I hope you get it back up soon.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dude doesn't need to be a delivery driver. I'm sure he's a "contractor" so that the company can pretend he's not their employee nor their problem.

Sorry to hear it. I hope you get it back up soon.
They are looking at totaling it... I have to provide photos today to show its a good truck and not a beater. I'd bet they total it.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We are back up and running! After some battling with the insurance, they decided not to total it. I found a bed down in Salem... Drove down there in the morning with a trailer, towed it back to Washougal, and swapped it out. Long day... but its fixed. I need to change the decals to Z71, but other than that, we are good to go! I found it interesting that after towing the trailer, the load it put on my engine did something to it in a positive way. It feels more powerful, pulls hills with ease, and the throttle response is better.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: