L31 towing cam upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to see how it runs after its tuned. I've got 335 miles on the engine so far. I live in the foothills of the cascade mountain range, so I've been taking it on rural drives every evening. Not allowing it to sit in one RPM range for long periods of time. I probably won't have it tuned until at least 1000 miles. Its running great, but I can tell its a little off. So with the 0411 and a tune, it should be a great setup.

Talloneus

Reaction score
My only real problem with the man is he needs to really play around with one of these hands on while datalogging everything to understand what the torque management does when he ZEROs commanded shift times. I have seen him do it multiple times on multiple trucks when people have requested stock torque management and firmer shifts. Zeroing the shift times disables the upshift torque management which then leads to 4L60Es failing. It is a flawed old way of doing things before people understood what it did and in just about every tuning writeup out there. I wish that bad information would just go away and people might actually keep their 4L60E in one piece. I have not had a single 4L60E (save for the one in the Tahoe that was already wounded from the servo cover popping off and running out of fluid) fail that I have tuned since I stopped zeroing shift times, set them to 0.300 or 0.250 msec and started actually adding more torque reduction during the shifts.
Think Im going to go with that GM '7395 from the article you posted, and the cloyes timing chain. For tuning it, is there anybody you recommend that I can purchase a tune from?

plan on doing that cam 4* adv, volant intake, shorty headers, and a whole new exhaust. There are no reputable tuners in my part of the world (Canada) so I would most likely upgrade to a 0411, just dont know anyone to tune it.

I would like to keep my 4l60e in one piece

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Think Im going to go with that GM '7395 from the article you posted, and the cloyes timing chain. For tuning it, is there anybody you recommend that I can purchase a tune from?

plan on doing that cam 4* adv, volant intake, shorty headers, and a whole new exhaust. There are no reputable tuners in my part of the world (Canada) so I would most likely upgrade to a 0411, just dont know anyone to tune it.

I would like to keep my 4l60e in one piece

I put my 395 in with a Cloyes single roller adjustable timing set. Straight up ICL was already 106 as it's supposed to be, so I left it there.

Talloneus

Reaction score
I put my 395 in with a Cloyes single roller adjustable timing set. Straight up ICL was already 106 as it's supposed to be, so I left it there.
I also do want to get the most out of the cam, but keep the vortec heads stock, and have the egr deleted in the tune, improve my around town mileage. And keep it running on 87 octane, fuel taxes are insane up here. part of why I wanna go this route and not a 383.

Ill probably break in the cam on the stock tune already in the truck

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also do want to get the most out of the cam, but keep the vortec heads stock, and have the egr deleted in the tune, improve my around town mileage. And keep it running on 87 octane, fuel taxes are insane up here. part of why I wanna go this route and not a 383.

No cam break in on a roller cam. Mine was a little rich down low, a smidge lean under load but otherwise ran good with the 0411 van tune that I had already put some timing into.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Well advancing the cam will increase cylinder pressure which will make it want more octane, so to that extent advancing it seems like the wrong approach.

Talloneus

Reaction score
Well advancing the cam will increase cylinder pressure which will make it want more octane, so to that extent advancing it seems like the wrong approach.
I am very new to modifying vehicles, so there is alot I do not know. With that cam profile, on an otherwise stock vortec L31, is 87 not feasable? If so, is there a better cam grind that I can get better towing performance on 87?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I missed the idea of advancing the cam. I would not suggest it. The 7395 has an early IVC as it is. Been a while since I degreed either cam, but I want to say the 7395 actually closes the intake valve a few degrees before the stock L31 1264 cam does. It definitely builds more cylinder pressure at peak torque, requiring attention to the advance curve especially around peak torque to prevent detonation. If you go with the 7395, degree it in on a 106 ICL and let it eat.

For slightly less dynamic compression ratio and ease of running 87 octane, consider the Summit 8800. The 8800 is basically a roller version of the old 204/214 RV cams that found their way in every kind of smog era SBC to perk them up a bit. The 8800 could us a bit of cam advance because Summit calls for it to drop-in at a bit too late of an ICL for my taste in a L31.

Follow this post. He got it up, running and driving on the stock tune.

Last edited: