L31 Extreme Budget Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well my exhaust guy is stacked up for several weeks and I believe him because I had to pull around and park behind his building to talk with him. I am actually headed to Summit Racing in Arlington in a few minutes. Going to snoop around and see what I find in the bargain cave. They are always loaded with exhaust and small block headers for very attractive prices. Hoping to find some kind of 2.5" universal exhaust system or exhaust system I can make work, preferably with a X or H-pipe. Might also try to snag a set of SBC headers that will work. I really want the added low-midrange torque they offer especially with the TH400s tall 1st gear ratio and economy 3.08 axle ratio. If I can find the right stuff, can probably have an exhaust done tonight or tonorrow on the beast.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my exhaust guy is stacked up for several weeks and I believe him because I had to pull around and park behind his building to talk with him. I am actually headed to Summit Racing in Arlington in a few minutes. Going to snoop around and see what I find in the bargain cave. They are always loaded with exhaust and small block headers for very attractive prices. Hoping to find some kind of 2.5" universal exhaust system or exhaust system I can make work, preferably with a X or H-pipe. Might also try to snag a set of SBC headers that will work. I really want the added low-midrange torque they offer especially with the TH400s tall 1st gear ratio and economy 3.08 axle ratio. If I can find the right stuff, can probably have an exhaust done tonight or tonorrow on the beast.
I wondered how long those Holley logs would stay on there.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wondered how long those Holley logs would stay on there.

Well the Summit bargain cave did not pan out BUT, while I was there I remembered I still have the Thorley tri-ys albeit a little surface rusty and the front section of the exhaust that was on the 1983 G20 when it was small block powered above the office in the shop. I completely forgot about them being up there since it has been about 4 years since I shoved them up there.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the Summit bargain cave did not pan out BUT, while I was there I remembered I still have the Thorley tri-ys albeit a little surface rusty and the front section of the exhaust that was on the 1983 G20 when it was small block powered above the office in the shop. I completely forgot about them being up there since it has been about 4 years since I shoved them up there.

That's like Christmas all over again.
Are those A.I.R ports?

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You got what you needed and didn't have to get your wallet out, I call that win.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You got what you needed and didn't have to get your wallet out, I call that win.
I ordered a $94 mandrel bent exhaust tubing kit in 2.5" that will be here tomorrow. But I pretty much already have everything else I need. In addition to the old Thorleys already have a pair of 2.5" collectors with 02 bungs from a pair of LS shorties I used on a different project, 2.5" walker cats and a dual in/dual outlet 2.5" magnaflow muffler.

Edit--decided on a $94 kit rather than the $159 exhaust kit and it should be here tomorrow rather than Friday. Score.

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a $94 mandrel bent exhaust tubing kit in 2.5" that will be here tomorrow. But I pretty much already have everything else I need. In addition to the old Thorleys already have a pair of 2.5" collectors with 02 bungs from a pair of LS shorties I used on a different project, 2.5" walker cats and a dual in/dual outlet 2.5" magnaflow muffler.

Edit--decided on a $94 kit rather than the $159 exhaust kit and it should be here tomorrow rather than Friday. Score.
I put the order in this morning for a set of Jegs long tubes. Rumor is they're made by Schoenfeld.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a tease for those that have never been into Summit Arlingtons Bargain Cave Outlet area. That was a GM 502 and a Blueprint SBC behind it. They had a Blueprint 427 SBC also marked down for clearence in the front door of the retail area too. On the other side of the white boxes was a 6L80E or 6L90E. Summit is dumping all their Power Programmers for everything for like 1/5 the normal price. They had stacks of Diablo, Superchip, Hypertech and SCT tuners. Probably EPA related. They had an Edelbrock Eforce SBC Vortec carbureted supercharger kit there too for $2500. I also noticed they had alot of the Holley Sniper and equivalent Fitech EFI systems on the shelf as well in the $600-800 range.

Last edited: