L31 Extreme Budget Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Removed a couple of left over components from the former 6.0L. The TAC module I had bolted to the core support, pedal harness and Dodge Hemi pedal. I found the OE pedal and bracket tucked away in a box. Brake booster and HVAC vacuum system are also plumbed up. I previously deleted the HVAC vacuum sphere to add the TAC module in its factory mounting area. If it needs it I will add a GM vacuum pump to the power brakes. I hook the GM pump up through a tee with a Nissan/Toyota style checkvalve on the engine vacuum hose. Hopefully it makes enough vacuum at idle it will not be needed though.

You must be registered for see images attach
not going to do hydroboost?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not going to do hydroboost?
Not yet on this one. It is only ~4400# and the dual diaghram 9.5" booster and JB5 brake setup I added larger piston front calipers too stop it well. It is hard to find the hydroboost pedal and conversion parts on these now. If I find an OE hydroboost van to grab the parts off it will get it someday. When I swapped my 83 back in 2006ish there loads of 6.2/6.5L diesels in the treasure yard and it was easy and cheap to score the parts. Now not so much. My old 83 had another 900 lbs and less vacuum than I anticipate this engine to make. I bet this stops even better after I replace the OE brake components that were still on it. It had old OE hoses even. I should have changed the hoses but they were not easy to get at until I pulled the front end off.

With the light weight and punchy 350 this should be a hoot to drive. The 350 will make its torque 1,000 rpm earlier than the 6.0L that was in it and be happier with the stock ~1,800 rpm converter in the TH400 and the 3.08 gears.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So let's see: the 83 was cheap and you were in need, the 97 was a sentimental purchase? How does the 87 fit in? Not judging, I have too many cars myself, just curious on the rationale here.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So let's see: the 83 was cheap and you were in need, the 97 was a sentimental purchase? How does the 87 fit in? Not judging, I have too many cars myself, just curious on the rationale here.

Because I bought it cheap in 2017 with the plan to part it out and steal parts for the 83 to rebuild it. A good TH400 core local was 1/2 of what I paid for the whole van. It had a small block TBI that I assumed was a 305 and that it would probably run. I got it fired up, drove it to the shop, pulled the 305 out immediately and got $250 for it. As I dug further noticed it was too nice of a van to chop up, it only had 104,000 miles on it. Zero rot, no rust beyond some surface rust on the roof, only a couple of easily repairable dents to speak of and the glass is perfect. I got it running with my brothers help and driving with the 6.0L I had kicking around in the shop after slapping on some Lloyd Elliot 862s, mild cam, headers and TBSS intake. We were going to build it out as a camper van and he actually wanted it, then he ended up getting married. Long story short, she is NPD and my brother no longer gets to talk with anyone. She screens his calls and micro manages his life. Close friends, best friends, family are basically off limits, she has the reigns on him. I probably put 5,000 miles on the 6.0L and in driving it noticed the front end needed to be rebuilt. I also hated the 6.0L in it, 2,500 rpm @ 75 mph, look at a hill and the TH400 was in 2nd gear. The only way to get it up to speed in a reasonable amount of time was rev the thing out past 4,000 rpm. My buddy kept begging me for the 6.0L that was in it, I gave him the I do not want to pull it out price and he said he wanted it, so I pulled it out. So now it is just something I am building to save it from the crusher. I want something I do not feel guilty or worried about really driving. The old G vans are actually bringing relatively stupid money now.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I say the 87 was too nice to cut up, I mean it. The body is extremely straight, minus a dent on the passenger side roof and a small area of damage on the passenger door from a broken pin in the door check. The chassis, floor and typical rust areas are absolutely free of heavy rust and rot. Even the plastic dash is perfect albeit dusty from sitting. Somehow even the OE GM radio and all the gauges still work. When I drove it to the shop, the ac even came on and blew cool despite the charge being low. The 305 one tire fired for a good 100 ft when I got on it from a stop albeit had terrible spark knock on the old fuel. WOT 1-2 shift the old TH400 barked the right rear tire as well.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Literally the only rust area in the thing that even needs to be addressed is locate a battery tray because the OE rotted in half and a small area above the bumper bracket on the driverside rear. Even the conversion windows are rust free where they meet the body. I have not seen many that are still as clean as the body is on it and those are definitely not a $250 blank canvas. I do not understand it at all, but the upper control arms and the driveshaft have the most rust of anything on the van. I know the 104K miles is accurate, it still has the OE injection molded u-joints in it. The sad part is the OE front end it this van would probably have made it 250-300K miles like the OE front end in my 83 did if someone had only taken the time to grease it a few times in its life. Every moving joint was squeaking from lack of lubrication when I got it. At 200K the old 83 was still tight as could be. The old OE GM stuff was far better quality than anything you can buy new today and it was senselessly ruined from lack of lubrication. When I put the 6.0L into this 87 it still had the OE Hydramatic stamped transmission filter in the TH400 but luckily the pan was still nearly spotless.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, I am really liking how much access you have to the rear of the engine in a van. I have to climb up onto the radiator support panel and feel around blindly to get to anything at the back. Vans are cool.

After GM enlarged the dog house opening on that body style around 1982 that generation of van with a 4.3 V6 or small block has loads of room around it. GM took advantage of that space as well and started offering them with a 454 in 1988. They even have enough room to slip a tall deck big block into them.

With the more compact L31 accessory setup there is even more room.

Big block is a bit more of a squeeze though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeraldinmendez