L31 Extreme Budget Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Made it back into town this morning and worked a while at the shop this afternoon before family stuff this evening and tomorrow. Knocking more stuff off the list. Modified the TH400 vacuum modulator pipe and connected the charcoal canister to a small purge hose and the fuel pressure regulator. I discovered Edelbrock does not provide a ported vacuum connection on their throttle body, so I used a 3/16" purge hose to hopefully purge the canister well but not overload the engine with fuel vapor at idle. Working on the engine harness off the C100 plug, organizing everything and getting it all connected up. I use narrow, inexpensive masking tape when I am working on the layout because it is easier to mess with and move around. I kept the OE fuel pump wiring and TH400 kickdown wiring as it was in great shape still. Still need to add new wiring for the starter, alternator, L31 coolant temp and L31 oil pressure sending units. Started reworking the ac compressor harness to add the vortec high pressure cutout switch into the ground side of the clutch control wiring and the vortec clutch connector but ran out of time.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made it back into town this morning and worked a while at the shop this afternoon before family stuff this evening and tomorrow. Knocking more stuff off the list. Modified the TH400 vacuum modulator pipe and connected the charcoal canister to a small purge hose and the fuel pressure regulator. I discovered Edelbrock does not provide a ported vacuum connection on their throttle body, so I used a 3/16" purge hose to hopefully purge the canister well but not overload the engine with fuel vapor at idle. Working on the engine harness off the C100 plug, organizing everything and getting it all connected up. I use narrow, inexpensive masking tape when I am working on the layout because it is easier to mess with and move around. I kept the OE fuel pump wiring and TH400 kickdown wiring as it was in great shape still. Still need to add new wiring for the starter, alternator, L31 coolant temp and L31 oil pressure sending units. Started reworking the ac compressor harness to add the vortec high pressure cutout switch into the ground side of the clutch control wiring and the vortec clutch connector but ran out of time.

Looking good man!
Have you ever used those reusable zipties that have the release tabs? I use them when I'm making up wiring harnesses.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking good man!
Have you ever used those reusable zipties that have the release tabs? I use them when I'm making up wiring harnesses.
I have not. I have used the masking tape for years. The masking tape also gives me something to write on with a ball point pen to label various connections as needed.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Removed a couple of left over components from the former 6.0L. The TAC module I had bolted to the core support, pedal harness and Dodge Hemi pedal. I found the OE pedal and bracket tucked away in a box. Brake booster and HVAC vacuum system are also plumbed up. I previously deleted the HVAC vacuum sphere to add the TAC module in its factory mounting area. If it needs it I will add a GM vacuum pump to the power brakes. I hook the GM pump up through a tee with a Nissan/Toyota style checkvalve on the engine vacuum hose. Hopefully it makes enough vacuum at idle it will not be needed though.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking good man!
I've used them and like them. I've also used the zip ties that have an eyelet so once you tighten them up you can run a screw in them to anchor them down so the harness doesn't move. Used them a lot when I was wiring lights and switches on the wreckers I was building

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've used them and like them. I've also used the zip ties that have an eyelet so once you tighten them up you can run a screw in them to anchor them down so the harness doesn't move. Used them a lot when I was wiring lights and switches on the wreckers I was building

For that sort of application I prefer adel clamps.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wow, I am really liking how much access you have to the rear of the engine in a van. I have to climb up onto the radiator support panel and feel around blindly to get to anything at the back. Vans are cool.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have not. I have used the masking tape for years. The masking tape also gives me something to write on with a ball point pen to label various connections as needed.

Great idea. I have a short run of wires that I need/want to clean and re-wrap on my Buick. I cleaned and re-wrapped the wires years ago, but am not happy with the job I did so I plan on re-doing it.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I am really liking how much access you have to the rear of the engine in a van. I have to climb up onto the radiator support panel and feel around blindly to get to anything at the back. Vans are cool.
By the time he gets it done he will have hand polished the top of the bell housing.