K2500 Suburban 454 Vortec oil pan and pump replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireman5045

Reaction score
I have a 98 K2500 Suburban with the 454 Vortec. Recently, it developed a cold knock. Meaning, when i first crank it up, it takes a little bit for it to get oil pressure and it knocks for 30secs to a minute then clears up. Let me get a few things out of the way. Its definitely a knock without question. Today, I had a mechanical oil pressure gauge installed and tested the oil pressure after sitting all night. The mechanic said I'm actually getting 7 PSI. Now lets get to the question. What's the best way to pull the oil pan, replace the oil pump, pick up tube, main bearings, and rod bearings without pulling the motor? Yes, i know this a cheap patch and yes i know its easier to pull the motor. I work two jobs, go to college, and raise a son. So I'm broke and cant afford to rebuild or replace properly nor do i have the time to have my suburban down for an entire weekend to pull a motor. Please help! Thanks.

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't think there is an "easiest way" to do what you need to do. That job is a tall order even for a very experienced home mechanic. I'm guessing the underside of your suburban is similar to my K3500 so you have a front axle and drive shafts to deal with. It isn't what I would call really accessible. Making the actual repair of changing your oil pump and bearings would be easier if the engine is out yes, however you have the hours of work involved with pulling the engine, and open your self up to having to deal with more things like A/C, coolant, exhaust, oil cooler, tranny removal, etc...

I have very high oil pressure which is causing front and rear main leaks and is blowing out the seals in my oil cooler lines and the filter adapter housing. It starts out at 75 PSI cold and then will drop to around 40psi when warmed up and sitting at an idle. As soon as I give it any throttle, the PSI goes back up into the high 60's. I'm pretty sure its a faulty pressure relief valve so that means I'll be doing the same job here very soon, except I'll have to drop the tranny and do the rear main too.

I would say get as much stuff out of your way as possible to aid in making it easy on yourself, but this for sure is going to be a weekend long job.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
X2. Unless you work on it nonstop itll probably be a weekend long job. You could pull the front diff, axles, and front driveshaft on a night after work and have it out of the way before you start the job. Itd be fine to drive without those parts for a day or two.