Vortec 7400 FPR and Injectors Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zulu Kono

Reaction score
'96 K2500 Suburban with Vortec 7400.
My question is which injectors would you recommend?
I'm leaning towards these, but input is appreciated:

These are almost 1/4 the price and I'm considering them:

And while I'm in there I plan to replace the cap, rotor, plugs and wires.
Suggestions on which brands of those to get is also appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

e21mdion

Reaction score
These are absolutely the ones! I did a 454 swap in my 98 Suburban and used the highly recommended 5Omotorsports ones and the new style (blue tip) are too short. Sprayed fuel everywhere. These fit perfectly and the truck runs great. It was actually the only problem I had with the whole swap.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would not bother installing those Amazon injectors if you gave them to me. They might be fine, but that's not a part I'm willing to gamble on. If those Precision Auto injectors are actual Bosch units they should serve you well. What has prompted you to replace them?

The fuel pressure regulator you want is FP10021. Don't trust retailers' compatibility lists - most of them are wrong. Get that part number. Why do you want to replace the FPR?

Be careful with the injector rail. It's not available new from anyone at any price.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Dont do amazon injectors unless you like doing things twice.

A lot of people here swear by 5-O motorsports injectors. I have a set I bought but have not installed them (summer project).

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I would not bother installing those Amazon injectors if you gave them to me. They might be fine, but that's not a part I'm willing to gamble on. If those Precision Auto injectors are actual Bosch units they should serve you well. What has prompted you to replace them?

The fuel pressure regulator you want is FP10021. Don't trust retailers' compatibility lists - most of them are wrong. Get that part number. Why do you want to replace the FPR?

Be careful with the injector rail. It's not available new from anyone at any price.
Agreed, chance of getting bogus parts off amazon is non-trivial.

I say if you're in there doing injectors, go ahead and do the regulator, because the upper intake has to come off to do either job. Also be sure to replace the vacuum line to the regulator and be sure the hose is fuel-rated. Regular vacuum line will deteriorate quickly in that application and then you're removing the intake again to replace a little piece of hose.

How many miles are on the engine? If it's around 150K or more, you better just go ahead and check that distributor for wear and be prepared to replace it. Turn the rotor back and forth and as you do, try pushing it side to side, checking for wear in the upper bushing. Read up on setting the cam retard angle and what scan tools are capable of this reading, as well as marking both distributor body and rotor position, before pulling the old one.

"Be careful with the injector rail. It's not available new from anyone at any price."

This cannot be overstated! It's plastic, the plastic will be brittle, and no matter how careful you are, it's possible to break the little nubs that the injector retainer clips attach to. So treat it like it's made of glass, and still be prepared to patch it back together. I had success using small flat screwdrivers to carefully release the tabs, still managed to crack a couple. Used zipties looped through the injector clips to hold them in place on re-install. It's not the easiest to see in the pic but they're not just looped around the clip; they're looped through it so that it sits in its natural position.

You must be registered for see images attach

Another piece of total unobtainium is the EGR tube. It's easy to damage it on removal because the fitting into the intake has a very shallow set of flats that are difficult to grab with a regular wrench. So you go to turn the coupling nut on the tube, and often it will twist the entire tube and destroy it. I strongly recommend get a SKINNY adjustable wrench - ChannelLock makes some - as a backup wrench on the fitting, then use the two-wrench method to break the coupling nut loose. A scrap of 2x4 against the valve cover was used to keep the backup wrench from moving, or damaging the cover.
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Someotherguy's advice is all sound.

On that EGR tube, multiple applications of penetrating oil well in advance of when you want to remove it will be to your benefit. It tends to be particularly uncooperative. The last one I had to persuade I used a crow's foot wrench on a ratchet extension hooked to the impact and slowly turned the pressure up until it gave way. I've seen that intake break right there so don't use any more force than is needed.

If you are in a hurry on that injector rail you need to reschedule. That's not the place to vent your frustrations.

Zulu Kono

Reaction score
Thanks gents!
I went ahead and ordered the Bosch injectors. Concerning why I'm replacing them, I've had starting issues for a while now and the truck is now running like a dog. If I'm taking the plenum off I'm replacing the FPR and the injectors regardless. While I've got it apart I figure I might as well replace stuff while it's accessible.