K1500 Suburban fuel line QD to Steel Braided Hose swap at tank/pump

what would you have done in this case?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Hopwood

Reaction score
Like the title says, this thread is on swapping the quick disconnect lines at the tank/pump (aka- fuel feed and return lines).

I have the resources and some knowledge on doing this from my time in Marine aviation. I have done this on other fuel injected vehicles. I do not like the quick disconnect lines and accidentally broke the two feed and return nipples on the fuel pump housing. I wasn't being as careful as I should have been and since I already have performed this on the oil cooler lines on my automatic transmission and engine oil (and added an external oil cooler), why not do this as well?

I just so happened to have a -8 AN to 5/8 x 18 inverted flare adapter. So, I pulled the feed line from the fitting at the adapter where it transitions to the steel tubing. I also plan to make the new lines a little longer to allow for more room to work in the future.

I will also fabricate a -6 AN return line.

My plan of attack is to put -8 and -6 bulkhead fittings on the pump housing. The fuel feed will have a -8 female to female adapter to a male to 10mm barbed fitting that will connect to the feed tube from the pump.

For the return line, I plan to just let it flow directly from the bulkhead fitting. We will see how that works out.

I purchased a lot of my material (hose and most fittings) from siliconeintakes.com . The fittings that they provide are aluminum. On a side note, I fabricated my own intake pipe system from their silicone elbows and aluminum connectors. They provide real nice silicone hose and tubing.

The -8 and -6 to 5/8 inverted flare fittings were purchased on amazon.

The reason for posting this was because I haven't found anything on this and wanted to see what you guys have done.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'd probably buy a new pump. I'm not sure about putting my own fittings/connectors onto the existing pump.... maybe if I had it in hand it would be different.

You mention silicone hoses..... are you using silicone in this repair, or just your intake? Is the silicone fuel rated.... and at EFI pressures? If you need to install hose inside the pump/tank, you need line that is rated for being submerged. If you use regular line, even if for EFI, it will fall apart on you.

I need to replace my fuel lines, and I won't be getting rid of the quick connects, even though I'm not crazy about them. I'll be replacing them with more modern versions that will be on nylon lines. I realize of course that you situation is a little different as my pump housing isn't broken. I'm very careful with the connector removal because I don't want them to break.

David Hopwood

Reaction score
Supercharged111 I have the correct tool and have used it in the past. :) What had happened is that I had moved the gas tank to the side to gain better access to the fuel pump wire harness and the two lines broke off....

454cid I do have quite a bit of ptfe steel braided hose and fittings on hand and have done something like this in the past and figured why not give it a shot.

Yeah, using silicone vacuum hose for fuel line is not something I would do. lol. I'm doing this because I really don't like the design and want something more reliable in my opinion. But, I will keep the other lines on hand.

I do just fine removing the lines from the pump but, these snapped off on accident while moving the tank to gain access to some wires.

Mr Eric

Reaction score
My 97 K1500 425 did not have QC when I replaced the pump the first time, I cut an access hole through the floor, ( i believe in making it easier to repair in the future, if it doesn't add to much time during the original repair) and after much sweat and lamentation, not to mention the frustration of not being able to use heat to loosen the fittings decided/resorted to cutting the offending fitting off. Attaching the line when I was done involved a hose clamp, and it's never been as issue since (10 plus years and another pump and filter since)

Repair as needed, making certain if you Bubba it up, you and the next guy had to live with it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If he has quick connects this pump won't fit.... the fuel tanks are different.

Edit: I don't see a pump.... what is this a sender for a second tank or a diesel?

Not a diesel, those lack the breather hose.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score