K1500 starter issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris2323

Reaction score
I have a 97 k1500 with 300,000 miles. 411pcm, cam, long tubes. ive been having some issues lately with the starter. It will spin every time i turn the key, but once in a while it will not engage the flywheel. Is this a common problem with these trucks? What do you guys suggest i do? Could it be the solenoid? Or is it possible to rebuild the starter or shim it?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have a thermal reader you could let the truck run and see how hot the starter getting. I agree with heat. For example I had shorty headers and stock exhaust. Starter works great when cold or cool. But other days if I did a quick pit stop and tried to start the truck 10min. It would drag . Sometimes start slow. Gm did put a heat shield for a reason...

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
2x on the heat shield. Also check the battery cables. These trucks are prone to hidden corrosion down in the cable. Also check the grounds and connections. And are the starter, solenoid and their mounting surfaces clean?

chris2323

Reaction score
I will have to look over all of my wiring and connections. It spins every time and when it engages the flywheel it has full power. The issue happens during cold and hot starts

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Doesn't engage the flywheel"

You mean, you turn the key, and the starter winds up and sounds like a siren? Other times it cranks normally?

Failed starter drive. It IS engaging the flywheel, (because the motor doesn't get power until the solenoid pushes the starter drive into position) but the one-way clutch in the starter drive is slipping, so the motor spins without cranking the engine.

Common as dirt. New starter drives are available, but most folks just replace the starter. By the time you remove the starter, tear it apart, replace the drive, replace the shift fork, replace the bushings and brushes...you might as well just buy a replacement starter that has a warranty.

Heat-related problems generally involve the starter motor turning slowly, or not at all. If it spins up like it's being bench-tested...it's the drive.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I had a 94 C1500 Burb. my first truck and learning experience. that would happen to it sometimes. I had to use a pipe wrench to spin the motor a little bit so it would catch. a couple years goes by and I blow a transmission. It turns out the flexplate had a bunch of partial and broken gears, probably because its former owner (my FIL) who is half deaf would try to start the engine while it was all ready running. my first truck, immaculate on the inside and completely rotten on the outside. ran like a champ and never left me stranded, that is until there was no gear left.

Al

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 94 C1500 Burb. my first truck and learning experience. that would happen to it sometimes. I had to use a pipe wrench to spin the motor a little bit so it would catch. a couple years goes by and I blow a transmission. It turns out the flexplate had a bunch of partial and broken gears, probably because its former owner (my FIL) who is half deaf would try to start the engine while it was all ready running. my first truck, immaculate on the inside and completely rotten on the outside. ran like a champ and never left me stranded, that is until there was no gear left.

Al
Could your FIL hear the OPP sirens if they were approaching his aft?