Just amazing what some Wet Sanding can do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Speaking only for myself, physically I'm close to 3x your age, but
my outlook on life seems to be frozen right around when I became
old enough to vote? (Undiagnosed adrenaline junkie, didn't
understand why people thought Rainman was all that unusual, etc. :0)

With any luck at all you will also get to refuse to fit into whatever stereotype
that others assign whatever age you (get to) attain. You're only issued a
single, contiguous experience of finite duration, so be sure to get your money's worth!

Seriously, I thought I'd share how I polish headlights simply as another data point.
With frugality forced upon me through no fault of my own, :0) when the OEMs
switched from glass to plastic I was one of the first to experiment on what I
had in place vs. just buying new at the stealership.

Here's the very first thing I did to my newly acquired chore truck when it
first followed me home:

Bright eyes for ~50 cents worth of materials help make truck 1st among equals (In the '20+ year old chore truck still in service on Syracuse streets' category)
You must be registered for see images attach

Used 2000 grit wet-sanding (by hand) followed by Meguair's 110. (will optically clear all the way to 1500 grit scratches) Note: The more you work it, the finer
it breaks down. A lot of times it's the only polish you need. Going for the Gold, I followed up with the 210 for the last 0.5% improvement. Then wax. That's it!

By the way, when you are first starting out the price of admission for the Makita variable-speed rotary buffer
(or equivalent) may seem exorbitant, but it paid for itself just in how much precious polish was no longer
flung all over my tool boxes (and shirt) because it has such a decent low-speed start.
(And easy speed change while running.)

Also, in terms of price-per-use I don't have an exact number, but after 12+ years of service I think I've got
it down to maybe 25 cents per use? So, I guess the total cost of bringing both headlights back is maybe
75 cents, not 50 as first stated. :0)

Total time expended? 8-10 minutes total, per each. NOTE: I used to make all this a really complicated multi-step
thing, but over time I kept trying to simplify it as much as possible. And depending upon how much sunburn
the lights get afterwards, they usually look good long enough that I might touch them up annually. Well worth it,
just for the bright eyes look alone -- makes it really stand out from all the rest of the chore trucks around here.

FWIW -- just another data point in the GMT400 info constellation...

Buff it Up! (This is how I sing this song when buffing.)

Yeah I've become more content with who I am as I've gotten older. I'm Korean and I was adopted from South Korea at 8 months old. I've never fit into the "Asian" category of stereotypes. I like running, working on my car, eating pizza, burgers, and fried chicken, and I used to go trapshooting, but haven't in about 3 years. I've also started rucking which I also like to do too. My friend has a 1998 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 from his Uncle who bought it new and he had it throughout High School and even now. I've always wanted a truck like his and finally got it last year! I got everything I wanted (extended cab, 6.5 ft box, Vortec 5700 and the Z71 off road package) and now I got a 14 bolt SF rear axle compared to my original 10 bolt SF. I love the sound of an old school V8 and it's a super comfortable ride. Plus, the truck is Silver and I've only seen a few Silver trucks online and mine is the only one I've seen in person.

I never thought about using polishing compound. I wet sanded by hand using 400, 600, and 2000 grit sandpaper. I did swirly motions with 400 grit sandpaper first until my spray bottle went dry and then did back and forth motions until the bottle went dry again. Repeated this process for 600 and 2000 grit respectively.

I don't doubt that a Makita buffer would be up there. Makita makes some pretty good tools. I'm going to use a Milwaukee M12 buffer that @Hipster recommended (I have Milwaukee tools and batteries anyways) along with polishing compound that @Spareparts recommended. Haven't used them yet but can't wait to try them tomorrow.

Those headlights look great too! Restored headlights look great on all vehicles and even better on these trucks! I couldn't believe how much wet sanding alone brought so much life back into my headlights after years of oxidation.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Update #1:

So I got my truck back from the shop yesterday and I finished up wet sanding all the headlights. I clear coated all the headlights and taillights with Meguiar's headlight coating suggested by @Caman96 and they're already looking great! The coating also has kind of an artificial fruity smell to it as well.

Just got to wait 24 hours to let it set. We're in a heatwave in my area rn and one nice thing about it being 86F is how quick the layers of clear coat dry.
86°.... it's barely that low at 4 or 5 am here.... supposed to be officially 100° or higher for the next week. July is finishing and August is only beginning....

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
86°.... it's barely that low at 4 or 5 am here.... supposed to be officially 100° or higher for the next week. July is finishing and August is only beginning....

Well, its a "heatwave" up here lol. I know 86F isn't that hot, but we've had upper 80s-lower 90s highs all week and its the hottest part of the year for us up here.

The way I see it our "hot" weather is a lot like your "cold" weather in the winter. Teens-20s is cold in TX, but here, we wouldn't even bat an eye at that.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Well, its a "heatwave" up here lol. I know 86F isn't that hot, but we've had upper 80s-lower 90s highs all week and its the hottest part of the year for us up here.

The way I see it our "hot" weather is a lot like your "cold" weather in the winter. Teens-20s is cold in TX, but here, we wouldn't even bat an eye at that.
Yup. One of my toy show buddies is from Minnesota, though he's been down here several years. He says he doesn't miss the snow and ice at all.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely! I'm amazed how remarkably civil this forum is. I've used/viewed other platforms and this is by far the best one in my experience. Reddit has a SUPER negative energy to it, Quora is better, but also a bit pretentious, and AR15.com has SOME good people, but a LOT of stuck up self riotous pricks too.

Greetings Boots97,

Glad to cross paths with you. We both share an interest in taking something and making it better,
and like you I find that the folks in here are the kind where mutual respect is the order of the day.

Thanks to a solid upbringing, they understand that sometimes in order to get where you are going
you have to pull the wagon...while others who were never raised (feral?) to appreciate common
sense have come to the conclusion that they only have to ride the wagon?

Saying it in a slightly different way, there are people out there who have invested in themselves in
such a way that, over time, they developed & now possess a valuable skill or trade that others appreciate.

Instead of telling you using words how talented they are, they instead let their finished product speak
on their behalf. These are the people who are comfortable in their own skin. They understand the
difference between visibility and exposure -- and since they don't feel insecure due to exposure,
they come across as relaxed and ready to share their experience w/others cheerfully.

On the other hand, there are those who were raised in an environment where they were not
expected to help contribute to the greater good...even something as simple as being
expected to do the dishes on the back end of a meal after the parent(s) cooked the food
on the front end. (ie: One of the household rules I was raised under was simply that
"The cook doesn't clean.") As a youngster, I was not raised to be a consumer, but instead
to be a contributing member of the household.

Instead, being raised in an environment where there is no expectation from them, there is
no real work done, no sense of accomplishment, instead everything is driven purely by emotion.
You end up with people that grow up to be insecure, judge others by superficial differences, and
feel that they must set up a pecking order that feeds their ego by placing them above everyone else?

For example, although I don't own a 'vette, I've worked on several of my friend's vettes.
Done plenty of lurking on 'vette forums in order to help figure out some 'vette-specific
problems. But I never joined any of them. Why?

Because the whole pecking order thing was simply out of control. Instead of telling
someone to enjoy their 'work in progress' ride being restored on a modest budget,
they would instead tell them that "My car is a NCRS Top Flight Award winner, you
may as well stop now, for you can't do any better than that."

And then some other clown would spy a tiny detail, (something truly inconsequential
like the correct size spare tire, but from the wrong year) point it out, and then
triumphantly state, "On my Corvette, I still have the Original Air in the Original Spare!"

Some of the stuff I've seen over the years is simply Ridonkulus!

I don't see that here. Like you said, we all share a common appreciation for the
sheer value, functionality, and built to last traits that the GMT400 vehicles represent.

Are these trucks perfect? No. Are we the owners perfect? No.

But then again I think that I could suddenly get the urge to do a favorite activity
(road trip) & go visit some of the folks I've interacted with here so far...and
a great time would be had by all involved.

And I think that we all have our parents to blame for this. They did the best
they could with what they had to work with, even though they weren't perfect,
we still all ended up the richer for the guidance they gave us.

Yeah I've become more content with who I am as I've gotten older. I'm Korean and I was adopted from South Korea at 8 months old. I've never fit into the "Asian" category of stereotypes. I like running, working on my car, eating pizza, burgers, and fried chicken, and I used to go trapshooting, but haven't in about 3 years. I've also started rucking which I also like to do too. My friend has a 1998 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 from his Uncle who bought it new and he had it throughout High School and even now. I've always wanted a truck like his and finally got it last year! I got everything I wanted (extended cab, 6.5 ft box, Vortec 5700 and the Z71 off road package) and now I got a 14 bolt SF rear axle compared to my original 10 bolt SF. I love the sound of an old school V8 and it's a super comfortable ride. Plus, the truck is Silver and I've only seen a few Silver trucks online and mine is the only one I've seen in person.

Sounds like your childhood was even more interesting than mine.
Being charitable, I had a rather eclectic upbringing, thanks to the
way everything unfolded. I went from attending a Ft. Worth
private school (Trinity Valley) ...to living in a home where a
lot of mac & cheese was eaten in order to stretch the budget.
(BTW, still to this day an awesome comfort food after a long
session of getting my @$$ kicked in the garage. :0)
If I didn't fix my own bicycle I got to walk to school.

But everything happens for a reason. I'm actually glad it
all happened, for if I'd grown up as a poor little rich kid I wouldn't
have learned 98% of what I got to learn growing up trying to deal
with a champagne taste on a tap water budget. :0)

Misquoting slightly, "Necessity is the Mother of All Real Learning".

Anyway, that's my 22¢ worth on all that. Congratulations, you
have found the people who understand that what you get out
of something is directly proportional to what you put into it.

Cheers --

Last edited:

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Greetings Boots97,

Glad to cross paths with you. We both share an interest in taking something and making it better,
and like you I find that the folks in here are the kind where mutual respect is the order of the day.

Thanks to a solid upbringing, they understand that sometimes in order to get where you are going
you have to pull the wagon...while others who were never raised (feral?) to appreciate common
sense have come to the conclusion that they only have to ride the wagon?

Saying it in a slightly different way, there are people out there who have invested in themselves in
such a way that, over time, they developed & now possess a valuable skill or trade that others appreciate.

Instead of telling you using words how talented they are, they instead let their finished product speak
on their behalf. These are the people who are comfortable in their own skin. They understand the
difference between visibility and exposure -- and since they don't feel insecure due to exposure,
they come across as relaxed and ready to share their experience w/others cheerfully.

On the other hand, there are those who were raised in an environment where they were not
expected to help contribute to the greater good...even something as simple as being
expected to do the dishes on the back end of a meal after the parent(s) cooked the food
on the front end. (ie: One of the household rules I was raised under was simply that
"The cook doesn't clean.") As a youngster, I was not raised to be a consumer, but instead
to be a contributing member of the household.

Instead, being raised in an environment where there is no expectation from them, there is
no real work done, no sense of accomplishment, instead everything is driven purely by emotion.
You end up with people that grow up to be insecure, judge others by superficial differences, and
feel that they must set up a pecking order that feeds their ego by placing them above everyone else?

For example, although I don't own a 'vette, I've worked on several of my friend's vettes.
Done plenty of lurking on 'vette forums in order to help figure out some 'vette-specific
problems. But I never joined any of them. Why?

Because the whole pecking order thing was simply out of control. Instead of telling
someone to enjoy their 'work in progress' ride being restored on a modest budget,
they would instead tell them that "My car is a NCRS Top Flight Award winner, you
may as well stop now, for you can't do any better than that."

And then some other clown would spy a tiny detail, (something truly inconsequential
like the correct size spare tire, but from the wrong year) point it out, and then
triumphantly state, "On my Corvette, I still have the Original Air in the Original Spare!"

Some of the stuff I've seen over the years is simply Ridonkulus!

I don't see that here. Like you said, we all share a common appreciation for the
sheer value, functionality, and built to last traits that the GMT400 vehicles represent.

Are these trucks perfect? No. Are we the owners perfect? No.

But then again I think that I could suddenly get the urge to do a favorite activity
(road trip) & go visit some of the folks I've interacted with here so far...and
a great time would be had by all involved.

And I think that we all have our parents to blame for this. They did the best
they could with what they had to work with, even though they weren't perfect,
we still all ended up the richer for the guidance they gave us.

Sounds like your childhood was even more interesting than mine.
Being charitable, I had a rather eclectic upbringing, thanks to the
way everything unfolded. I went from attending a Ft. Worth
private school (Trinity Valley) ...to living in a home where a
lot of mac & cheese was eaten in order to stretch the budget.
(BTW, still to this day an awesome comfort food after a long
session of getting my @$$ kicked in the garage. :0)
If I didn't fix my own bicycle I got to walk to school.

But everything happens for a reason. I'm actually glad it
all happened, for if I'd grown up as a poor little rich kid I wouldn't
have learned 98% of what I got to learn growing up trying to deal
with a champagne taste on a tap water budget. :0)

Misquoting slightly, "Necessity is the Mother of All Real Learning".

Anyway, that's my 22¢ worth on all that. Congratulations, you
have found the people who understand that what you get out
of something is directly proportional to what you put into it.

Cheers --

Wow...This is deep.

Something I always stuck with is trying to be as self sufficient as possible. I still live with my parents, but I buy my own food, pay all my bills (parents only pay health insurance). And buy my own things. I'm very glad that I've forced myself to be self sufficient bc its made me a more mature person. I've become more sympathetic of some things and less sympathetic about others.

One of the less sympathetic things in my life is my Mom's extended family. I'm the 2nd youngest on both sides of my extended family, but I rarely interact with my Dad's side of the family bc his only bother lives in Louisiana and living in MN, I've met him 3 times my whole life.

My Mom's side of the family is very educated, but has very poor foresight into the future. This has led to many avoidable/fixable problems becoming problems or staying problems in their lives. My Mother is a very devout Christian, but believes that you can simply pray and fast for things to happen without putting any initiative forward.

I had a rant post that I requested to delete bc I got a little too hot and ranty, but my cousin who is a Dr. in Veterinary Medicine decided that the best thing she could do for herself before she moved out to WA for her Active Duty Army commission is get married to someone who she dated for MAYBE a year, never lived together and then get pregnant a month after her marriage all while living far, far away from either of their families who live in IL. She won't admit it, but she is very tired all the time and honestly seems miserable in her tone. Last time I called her, she acted like I was the best thing to happen to her as of late.

Everyone more or less told me that there's nothing I can really do, which is true. If my 27 year old cousin can't make rational choices in life, then that's her problem. I'm glad that I at LEAST understand that if I REALLY want something, I need to put in the effort to make that happen. As you've stated, people are far less in a pecking order here and I really appreciate that. Partially that's because most of us use our trucks/suvs for work so we actually have to make money and fix our vehicles to care for ourselves and our livelihoods rather than showing it off for the sake of showing it off. I'm very happy with my truck rn, but I've had to put in long hours in the sun working on it to make it what it is. Are there other things I'd like to do? Sure. But am I happy now? Yes. And that's what matters.

Last edited:

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update #2: So I got my headlights and taillights done with 50% success.

My blinkers and taillights turned out terrible. They're splotchy and uneven, but that's my fault for not spraying the clear coat properly. One of my taillights also has a busted screw tab so I plan on getting another one from the treasure yard.

Fortunately, the third brake light and headlights look AMAZING!!!! Shoutout to @Caman96 for the headlight coating, @Hipster for the buffer, @Spareparts for the polishing compound. These headlights look like they just rolled out of Oshawa.

This compound likes to be run wet according to the directions. I put on a very heavy layer of polish and did 4 layers per light. A bit heavy, but it's how I roll.

Also, the taillights are tough bc they're so oddly shaped to hold, but the headlights were easy bc they are rectangle shaped so I just held them between my thighs.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Don't worry @HotWheelsBurban MN can still get hot. I just got done replacing an oil pan gasket in 91F degree heat and it was 97F yesterday.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Yup we are supposed to be at 107° officially today. Or 108°, I don't remember. Bloody hot whatever the number is....

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup we are supposed to be at 107° officially today. Or 108°, I don't remember. Bloody hot whatever the number is....

I've lived in MN for 21 years and spent all but a few months in Apple Valley (lived in Burnsville, MN from March-August 2002) and the highest I can remember here is 104F. 100F+ temps are uncommon, but also not unheard of either. We usually see them every 3-4 years. Being from Houston, TX, you probably have 2 weeks worth of 100F+ every year.