Jeep Hauler 1990 K3500 Dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Here is the link to the wiring harness that I am using. A lot less money than the Painless Wiring harness. For a universal application I don't see the need to spend the extra money.

I'm going to pull the engine. They let coolant sit on the engine for at least a year. So the air cleaner housing, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds and heads all have a bunch of surface rust on them. Once I took the air cleaner off, the throttle body looked fine. I pulled the driver's side spark plugs out and they looked brand new. Inside the cap and rotor were new as well, but the screws holding down the cap were all rusted. I can't get the passenger side spark plugs out. Too much surface crud to get a socket on them. So out comes the engine. I'll probably pull the heads while I'm at it and give everything a once over. Plan on replacing the alternator, water pump, exhaust manifolds and all the sensors. I put a new cap, rotor and plug wires on it and it fires right up and runs, but it looks ugly. There is also a massive power steering pump leak and a leak in one of the transmission cooler lines. Having the engine out will make it easier to clean all of that up and install the new wiring.

I'm positive that there are hardly any miles on this engine since it was installed in 2020. I have all the records and receipts for it and the insides look new. However the outside looks horrid. They sure didn't do it any favors by letting it over heat, spray coolant all over and then just let it sit and corrode. I also purchased new Edelbrock air cleaner and valve covers. I'll keep the OEM ones and perhaps clean them up and paint them some day.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
More parts are starting to show up. The grill and all the front lights showed up as well the th400 kick down switch. I think that I will need the switch since the Painless kit does not accommodate it. While I was at it I fixed the wipers. The diode on the old board was completely broken and out of place. It is probably fixable so I will save it for later. On order is also a new NSS. The reverse lights don't work even though they had replaced the entire fixture. Pretty sure it is the NSS. Tonight I will start making the spreadsheet as to all of the wiring. I need to combine all of the wiring diagrams into one that works with all of the components that I am using. The wiring diagrams that I am looking at combining are the factory ones, Painless TBI, E-Z Chassis and Dakota Digital diagrams. There is a lot of overlap between them so I need to make sure I know when to follow which one.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Picked up a larger engine stand today for the 454. Don't mine the 5.2 Magnum in the corner.

I looked at a Jeep Grand Cherokee a couple of weeks ago. It had the old 318 in it, in Magnum flavor. It was an auction, and ultimately, I didn't bid. The engine was one of the reasons I was seriously considering the purchase.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jesus wept. :3811797817_8d685371 I just don't understand , it makes my skin crawl. That wiring has every bad, sketchy thing I can think of. Why ? There is no way, if tried to do that , as soon as I turned around it would somehow start on fire and explode.
It's like certain garage in my town. That's what they would do. My wife's mother , my MIL, took her car in, the cruise control doesn't work. Charged for 4 hours labor, can't fix it. Next she wants them to look at the radio, charged 2 hours, we don't know what's wrong.
My wife said , " ya know mom said she has a little car something problem and could you take a look at it?"
Yeah, that's code for " do it now or else " . Drive to car quest picked up a brake light switch. Installed 10 mins, good guess , cruise control fixed. Pulled radio out. Some one had cut the harness side , connector off. What the...
I said I'll get new connector and have fixed in an hour. " Thanks, but don't bother, the cruise works great!" I'm gonna think about a new car". I said I'm gonna talk to our fellow church members about there little game. But she said " no , I'll take of it. " Now I feel sorry for them. Lol. :Moon:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't mine the 5.2 Magnum in the corner.
I can respect it. I like all hot rods. I daily a Mustang, tinker on my '89 Stepside, play with a Caddy-powered race car, crew a BMW, dream of putting my rotary engine into my Sunbeam Alpine, and yesterday I fixed my daughter's K24-powered Honda.

Reaction score
The 5.2 Magnum is a great engine. Way under rated. After that the Chrysler stuff kind went down hill. I have 4 of them. Two in vehicles and a spare for each with transmissions, harness and computers. One is ODBI and the other ODBII. In my opinion, probably the best engine ever put in a Jeep and about the only Jeep engine I would consider for an engine swap (unless it was an old Willys or something). Otherwise I'd go Chevy of some kind.

That wiring has every bad, sketchy thing I can think of.
Yep, that's why I decided to basically get rid of all of it. The TBI harness should be here tomorrow. I think I will temporary in that harness before I pull the motor and get the engine running off of it before gutting the truck. That way I know it will all work and I know where all the connections go.

The "new" glove box door showed up as well courtesy of eBay. The old one would fall off if you tried to open it since both hinge pins were broken off. The color even matches! It will be nice to get this truck done. I've missed having a full size Chevy. For the last 4 years I drove a 97 Tacoma. While it was nice, it just wasn't the same. In 2007 I bought a brand new 4 door Silverado. Best truck I have ever owned, but my ex got it in the divorce. She still drives that thing.