Is this normal??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mississippi

I have gas...in my truck
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I took apart my 1998 4l60e and noticed this spot where the servo is. Is this supposed to be machined like this or did this happen from failure?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I don't see anything out of the ordinary. thats where the servo end of the band retracts to when it is not engaged.

Mississippi

I have gas...in my truck
Reaction score
Ok just makin sure. This is my first trip into a transmission. I might ask a few more questions on this thread as well. Thanks for the reply

98_k1500

Reaction score
Im not a 4l60 know it all or anything, but iv rebuilt a few. I'll pass on anything i know about them tho. Was your anti-clonk spring ok or was it fu-bared?

Mississippi

I have gas...in my truck
Reaction score
Ended up being fused clutches.

The lock ring on the "2nd drum"(not sure on the name) still had the yellow paint. Is that a sign that it wasn't removed during the previous"rebuild"? Reason I ask because as soon as I went to remove it, the paint flaked off immediately.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Na, trans fluid dissolves most anything over time. Im sure it just got soft and is flaking off now. those parts are supposed to be replaced when it is rebuilt. Snap rings are not hard parts.

Mississippi

I have gas...in my truck
Reaction score
Ok good. Also found out why my temp trans didn't work. Ordered a 298mm TC and it has the 300mm. I felt dumb when I found this out

98_k1500

Reaction score
That would do it lol. That damn anti-clonk spring (on the side of the case) can be the worst part of a rebuild if its all bent up where you can't get it out. I have fooled with these for HOURS. Maybe if yours was not slammed back and fourth too terribly much it'll just pull out.

98_k1500

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

that little devil right there. It keeps it from going BANG when you change from reverse to forward.