Is it dead?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya you can put a 350 in it for the same price probably

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I done it in an 85 Silverado. Only thing different on the GenI was the dipstick tube for the 350 is on the opposite side of the 305. I reused the oil pan and all from my 305 and confused the hell out of everyone :lol:

"damn man that is the strongest 305 I ever drove" :lol:

Lost06

Reaction score
I was thinking a 350 might work but have read that there are some minor differences where the intake might not work and also the ecu's are different. Do you guys know anything about that? Also, what about a 383 short block?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking a 350 might work but have read that there are some minor differences where the intake might not work and also the ecu's are different. Do you guys know anything about that? Also, what about a 383 short block?

383 is just a .030 350 with a longer stroke, if your on a budget that will probably bust it wide open on just the short block....

sammack420

Reaction score
i did 4.3 to 350 swap and the intake i used on the 350 came off of a 305 so did the distributor and the rad. most parts are the same that bolt to the outside of the block alot of the 4.3 parts are the same well minus the fact there every thing is two piston short. and 350s are a dime a dozen all youll really need is some where to do it and a new prom dont forget to get limp chip it the little one next to the prom and as for 383 tbi you would have to get a custom chip an will more expensive i say just do a 350 it will have way more power than that 305, an easier than 383. as for cost when i swapped my motor keeping i went from 4.3 v6 to a 350 i got the 350 for free out of a scrap bin i got the crank returned and new bearings for just under 300 cheap gasket kit 25$ not worth it i wound having to do a head gasket. 400 for an intike an distributor an all that bs out of a 305 truck which you already got it cost me less than $1000 to swap from a 4.3 to a 5.7. its still g but it could be worse.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Sounds like you ran it low in oil, damaged a bearing(s) and locked it up.

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
i did 4.3 to 350 swap and the intake i used on the 350 came off of a 305 so did the distributor and the rad. most parts are the same that bolt to the outside of the block alot of the 4.3 parts are the same well minus the fact there every thing is two piston short. and 350s are a dime a dozen all youll really need is some where to do it and a new prom dont forget to get limp chip it the little one next to the prom and as for 383 tbi you would have to get a custom chip an will more expensive i say just do a 350 it will have way more power than that 305, an easier than 383. as for cost when i swapped my motor keeping i went from 4.3 v6 to a 350 i got the 350 for free out of a scrap bin i got the crank returned and new bearings for just under 300 cheap gasket kit 25$ not worth it i wound having to do a head gasket. 400 for an intike an distributor an all that bs out of a 305 truck which you already got it cost me less than $1000 to swap from a 4.3 to a 5.7. its still g but it could be worse.

Thats not bad...I just rebuilt my 350 TBI last year and it was damn clost to $2000. However, I did upgrade a bunch of stuff along with the biggest computer controlled cam I could find.

hybrid1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like your gonna need a replacement to me. check out car-part.com. may be able to find a cheap pullout.

Lost06

Reaction score
I am hoping to put an LS motor in it. I want to up grade to something better so I guess I'll have to ride my Harley more often. A friend said that there is a place in Cali called Pacific Fab that specializes in LS pullouts and new setup's made to order. He supposedly got an complete LS1 with the ECU and wiring harness for 1200 + shipping. If I can get that, I'll be set. Other wise, I guess I'll go with a 350.