Is it dead?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lost06

Reaction score
So, today I am driving down the highway and my truck starts making a rattling/knocking sound shortly followed by a loss in oil pressure and over heating. I can work on stuff but not too good at diagnosis. Please help while I wait on a tow.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Doesn't sound good...how loud was the knocking? One of your connecting rod bearings may have gone out

Lost06

Reaction score
Pretty loud. I could hear it over the stereo .

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something bit the dust, that's for sure. More than likely a rod bearing, possibly a main, but you won't know until you tear it down. Time to pull an engine!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
main bearings don't knock, rods and wrist pins knock

They are much lower pitched than a rod or wrist pin knock, but they certain do knock. Perhaps you would call it something else, but when the bearing is wiped or has excessive clearance they do make a very definite sound.

Lost06

Reaction score
well, it sounded like there might have been a bolt or something rattling somwhere in the engine. when i heard it i pulled over and lifted the hood to see where it was coming from. It was a noise that was consistent with the RPM's because when I slowed down to pull over it slowed down. I was close to a small town so I decided to go ahead and make it to the town, find a gas station and figure out my next move. As i neared the gas station, it was struggling to run (like it was bogging down) and died. I let it sit for about 3 hours while a friend came with a trailer and when I tried to start it to hopefully pull it on the trailer, the starter would make a loud click (only one as if it engaged the teeth on the flexplate) and then a high pitched electrical noise (like the solenoid was trying it's damnest to turn the engine) until I turned the key off. So, the block would not turn over at all. I checked under the truck and there were no puddles of oil. I checked the oil, and there was no water in it but it smelled burned and was pretty black considering I had the oil changed two weeks ago. So I am afraid that the engine is seized. I will go out later today and see if I can get the crank to turn when I get a few free minutes.

Lost06

Reaction score
and what really sucks is that we have had a lot of things going on that has us pretty tight on money and I hate to put another 305 in it.