Insurance value help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My '97 was appraised @ $13,800.00 Cdn. ($10,800 U.S.) by an independent, former 20 year employee of our most wonderful government-run insurance monopoly.
Insurance Co. says that that's outaline. We're calling in our appraiser.
"His credentials?"
None of your business. (!)
That idiot called the Impala SS wheels "aftermarket alloys" & valued them @ $30.00/ea.
Then said the box-liner was worth $250.00! (I see those POS's on C/L for free. Junk. But I'll take that value! HeHe!)
He then said that the dash was trashed.
"There was nothing wrong with that dash. No cracks. No broken vents. Trashed? What are you talking about? Are you even looking at the right truck?"
The passenger side has a big dent in it. All caved in on that side. Split along the top.
"It had a 110 lb. dog thrown at it @ 40-45 mph! Sudden impact. Y'know...the dog that your Co. paid to have x-rays on? Jeez, you're clueless. You're looking at the truck as it sits, not as it was. Did you even see the 'before' pix?"
He subtracted $500.00 due to the headliner sagging in a couple of spots. $500.00??? Yea, I'll admit it needed a recover. Material was under my bench. Winter project. But -$500.00? I do those small ones for $150.00! Including material. Whata shnobe.
"What about all the custom mods?"
What mods? Looks like a stock vehicle to me.
I.C.B.C. (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia) came back with a first offer of...$3500.00. ($2750.00 U.S.)
SMH. "F.U!!! Are you still referring to KBB as a reflection of market value? That book is so outa touch with the real world. Try using an evaluator that's more in touch with actual market values. Like Hagerty, which through their process says the truck has a fair market value of $9500.00 U.S. ($12,132.00 Cdn.)
2nd. offer...$3800.00.
(sigh) "Seriously? NO! Think about it. Why would I carry full coverage including collision @ $1300.00+/year for 10 years on a 23 year old vehicle if it's condition didn't justify that (rather excessive!) amount?
3rd. offer. $5500.00.
"Oh for F's sake. No. Get real. Not even close. Have you not been listening?"
You said no? Outright refusal? Well, then...guess we're going to arbitration.
"Arbitration?"
Yup.
"...overseen by someone of your choosing?"
Double yup.
"How can that possibly be an un-biased opinion? Do I not have a say in the choice of whomever that may be?"
Nope. Take or leave it. ...and that's your only choice.
F*ck, I hate these ********. Almost 2 years after the fact, still no settlement & we're headed for arbitration #2.
The accident wasn't my fault.
The other party claimed responsibility at the scene.
All I want to do is replace the truck.
...and ICBC is making it out to be that I'm the A-hole out to screw them over.
48 years of driving & only ever one claim where I was at fault.
37 years ago!

Last edited:

man-a-fre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My '97 was appraised @ $13,800.00 Cdn. ($10,800 U.S.) by an independent, former 20 year employee of our most wonderful government-run insurance monopoly.
Insurance Co. says that that's outaline. We're calling in our appraiser.
"His credentials?"
None of your business. (!)
That idiot called the Impala SS wheels "aftermarket alloys" & valued them @ $30.00/ea.
Then said the box-liner was worth $250.00! (I see those POS's on C/L for free. Junk. But I'll take that value! HeHe!)
He then said that the dash was trashed.
"There was nothing wrong with that dash. No cracks. No broken vents. Trashed? What are you talking about? Are you even looking at the right truck?"
The passenger side has a big dent in it. All caved in on that side. Split along the top.
"It had a 110 lb. dog thrown at it @ 40-45 mph! Sudden impact. Y'know...the dog that your Co. paid to have x-rays on? Jeez, you're clueless. You're looking at the truck as it sits, not as it was. Did you even see the 'before' pix?"
He subtracted $500.00 due to the headliner sagging in a couple of spots. $500.00??? Yea, I'll admit it needed a recover. Material was under my bench. Winter project. But -$500.00? I do those small ones for $150.00! Including material. Whata shnobe.
"What about all the custom mods?"
What mods? Looks like a stock vehicle to me.
I.C.B.C. (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia) came back with a first offer of...$3500.00. ($2750.00 U.S.)
SMH. "F.U!!! Are you still referring to KBB as a reflection of market value? That book is so outa touch with the real world. Try using an evaluator that's more in touch with actual market values. Like Hagerty, which through their process says the truck has a fair market value of $9500.00 U.S. ($12,132.00 Cdn.)
2nd. offer...$3800.00.
(sigh) "Seriously? NO! Think about it. Why would I carry full coverage including collision @ $1300.00+/year for 10 years on a 23 year old vehicle if it's condition didn't justify that (rather excessive!) amount?
3rd. offer. $5500.00.
"Oh for F's sake. No. Get real. Not even close. Have you not been listening?"
You said no? Outright refusal? Well, then...guess we're going to arbitration.
"Arbitration?"
Yup.
"...overseen by someone of your choosing?"
Double yup.
How can that possibly be an un-biased opinion? Do I not have a say in the choice of whomever that may be?"
Nope. Take or leave it. ...and that's your only choice.
F*ck, I hate these ********. Almost 2 years after the fact, still no settlement & we're headed for arbitration #2.
The accident wasn't my fault.
The other party claimed responsibility at the scene.
All I want to do is replace the truck.
...and ICBC is making it out to be that I'm the A-hole out to screw them over.
48 years of driving & only ever one claim where I was at fault.
37 years ago!
Scary , thanks for posting .

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Documentation, documentation, documentation, well written and easy to read. Fully detail the work you've done and the pricing. Specifically spell out that their appraiser undervalued your wheels, overvalued the headliner repair, and overvalued the bedliner (the bedliner's a risk, but helps question their valuation). If you have it in a nice, easy to understand packet, the arbiter may have a harder time ignoring it.

It might also help to send a nice letter with a copy of the documentation to whomever represents you in parliament.