Installing pickup tube in oil pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GT80

Reaction score
So I got a new oil pump and pickup tube (screen) and went to assemble today and ran into an issue. Both parts from Sealed Engine, 224-43469 and 224-14258. I know the pickup tube is supposed to be an interference fit into the pump (0.006" interference I think?) but not until halfway down the hole where the ID reduces. I tried assembling today and I couldn't get it started. Busted out the calipers and the OD of the tube is dead on at 0.750", but the ID of the hole in the pump measured 0.737" in the first half and 0.730" in the last half. No way in Hades this is going to fit, right? The pump must have been machined incorrectly! I would expect it to measure around 0.750" and 0.744".

Last edited:

GT80

Reaction score
To anyone who has ever installed a new pickup tube into a pump, shouldn't it just slip in halfway and then be pressed in the rest of the way?

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To anyone who has ever installed a new pickup tube into a pump, shouldn't it should just slip in halfway and then be pressed in the rest of the way?

It's been a while since I've put one in an SBC, but I'm pretty sure you're correct. There is absolutely no way that it's a .013" press fit. You might be able to buff the OD of the tube down and use it, but that's your call.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I got a new oil pump and pickup tube (screen) and went to assemble today and ran into an issue. Both parts from Sealed Engine, 224-43469 and 224-14258. I know the pickup tube is supposed to be an interference fit into the pump (0.006" interference I think?) but not until halfway down the hole where the ID reduces. I tried assembling today and I couldn't get it started. Busted out the calipers and the OD of the tube is dead on at 0.750", but the ID of the hole in the pump measured 0.737" in the first half and 0.730" in the last half. No way in Hades this is going to fit, right? The pump must have been machined incorrectly! I would expect it to measure around 0.750" and 0.744".
Yep. An extra .013 is never going in if the fit is.0006.
A couple of things to consider.
Did you check the tube for out of round.
Did you check it for burrs on the end.
Did you try to force it and push a burr on the end or twist it out of round.
How good are your calipers? When you check OD with a caliper you use the flats of the jaw or the inside taper of the jaw.
When you check ID with a cailper you use the outside points of the jaw.
And any little bent or worn part will seriously screw up your measurements.
Even the best caliper is only reliable to plus or minus .001.
And only if they are calibrated every month and kept in a little velvet lined box
with a mouse trap so nobody can touch them.
So, make sure you arent chasing your tail due to bent tips on your caliper when you check the ID of the hole.
.0006 clear is micrometer time.
Way beyond what any caliper will tell you inside or outside.
But, .013 is a friggen country mile in the precision world and that will never go in.
Check for burrs, check for out of round.
Make sure you didnt push a burr into the hole or spall up the whole by trying to twist it in.
And you might just be screwed by chinese manufacturing.

GT80

Reaction score
Thanks. No burrs. I actually still use my old vernier calipers for measuring, although I have to use reading glasses to read them now. I do cross-check them with my other digital calipers from time to time though and they're spot-on. This has to be a machining error on the pump. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy in thinking a 20 thou interference on a 3/4" part was impossible.

GT80

Reaction score
On the same note, if anyone reading this doesn't know how to read the vernier scale on calipers and micrometers, I recommend you learn how. It's ingenious! I learned back in 1998 and still prefer it over digital but my eyesight limits me now.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. No burrs. I actually still use my old vernier calipers for measuring, although I have to use reading glasses to read them now. I do cross-check them with my other digital calipers from time to time though and they're spot-on. This has to be a machining error on the pump. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy in thinking a 20 thou interference on a 3/4" part was impossible.
Yep. If ypu were out by .005 or so you could possibly work it down by hand and make it fit but that is still .0025 per side off of steel while keeping it round to a .0006 fit.
Could be done. If you get all zen on it.
But, it aint gonna fit.
If you had say .001 to maybe .0015 per side and you stuck the pump in the freezer and heated the tube and then pushed the tube in slowly while it cooled.
It might lock right in.
It also might crack everything.
Pickup tubes dropping off of small block chevys is really common.
The only real solution is to get as close and as tight a fit as you can while keeping that pickup no more than 1/4 inch from the bottom of the pan and tack weld it all.
Just a good tack weld to keep it from falling off.
If you can whittle it down enough to make it fit in the hole.
You can set the depth to the bottom of the pan ( dont forget the gasket)
You need about 1/4 inch or better clear.
Tack weld it in place
Dont try to seam weld it.
Just keep it from falling off
And you will be good to go.