Information on 88-98 frames offsets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I told you in my first response that at some point from the factory the engines became offset. So you had the wrong headers which is why they didn't clear. It is not a big mystery. Hedman makes two different headers for these trucks. One for centered engines and one for the offset engines. You tried to use the headers for centered engine on an offset engine. Simple, wrong headers for the application.

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
my main question was how do you tell one from another... i know this could be the case... after posting this same question on main other forum no one has answer. There has to be a away to tell what you have... Hooker only make one header for all 88-98 trucks. Hooker told me they don't have a problem with off set motors... Hooker only has this problem with ss454 truck not SB Chevy trucks. At this point i still don't know what frame i have... I do know hooker has extra room where i need it.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no idea. All I know is at some point the engines were offset in the frame. If they headers were setup for the offset motor I am sure they would fit the non offset motors too ( explains why most companies only have 1 part number)

kevhill85

96 BD Tahoe!!!!
Reaction score
here is some photos of the super comp hooker installed. the hooker fit but are very close to the frame rails.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

volfan72

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same issue when I converted my 4.3 V6 to a 383. I used OEM(Treasure Yard) engine mounts and new frame mounts. My motor matched perfectly with the input shaft of the trans. However, the Headman headers I ordered would not fit. Hedman told me to measure for offset. My engine is 2 5/8” towards the passenger frame. Ordered the correct headers for offset and all is well. Hope this helps.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same issue when I converted my 4.3 V6 to a 383. I used OEM(Treasure Yard) engine mounts and new frame mounts. My motor matched perfectly with the input shaft of the trans. However, the Headman headers I ordered would not fit. Hedman told me to measure for offset. My engine is 2 5/8” towards the passenger frame. Ordered the correct headers for offset and all is well. Hope this helps.

Doubt it does. It was a thread from over 10 years ago!

Buddy, you really need to look at the date of the threads before responding.
The last post was a decade ago. Seriously, 2011...

volfan72

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doubt it does. It was a thread from over 10 years ago!

Buddy, you really need to look at the date of the threads before responding.
The last post was a decade ago. Seriously, 2011...
I’m confused….why keep archives then? Providing relevant information to a post regardless of age should be beneficial correct? Please help me understand.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m confused….why keep archives then? Providing relevant information to a post regardless of age should be beneficial correct? Please help me understand.
It probably won't help solve the original problem, but may indeed help someone in the future. Thanks for posting up relevant information.