88-98 2wd frame differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jkaiser

Reaction score
I need to know the differences between 2wd short wide 98 frames from the earlier model 2wd short wide frames I heard they were a bit different I’m new here any help would be appreciated greatly thanks

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome -

There's very little difference in the frames across the years. From memory which is a little vague, I think the idler arm mount area is a little different, and very early trucks may not have the same sway bar bracket mount. Might have a different transmission crossmember depending on which trans the truck came with. A few of the early V6 1500 trucks came with the TH400 (technically 3L80) instead of the 700R4 but that's a bolt-in crossmember you can easily swap if it's any different.

Some insight as to why you're wondering may help steer the conversation. There may be other differences that matter depending on what your goals are.

Richard

Jkaiser

Reaction score
Thanks for your response I have a 98 (v8) truck mounted on an 88 frame and it’s not how I want it with the differences with them I would like to put a 98 frame under I just want to know does it specifically need to be a 98 or could it be a little earlier year model without making any changes to an earlier frame or would I be better off finding a 98 frame?