Converting 1995-1999 2 door Tahoe 4x4 to 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Karolko

Reaction score
Hi everyone, First post on this Forum. Decided my next build will be a 2 door Tahoe, slammed, so i'm here to learn and ask questions

Where i live, finding a 2wd 2 door Tahoe is difficult, so i'm likely stuck with a 4x4. I want to convert to 2wd for the simplicity of lowering the front.

My ideas are to find a 2wd frame and swap under it, but i do not know the compatibility of OBS vehicles yet. I have access to three major Pick N Pull yards local to me so finding a proper frame is doable, but i need to know which will work. I am a very competent fabricator, so i'm not afraid to pull out the plasma cutter and welders, but i would like to choose the path of least resistance.

1) would a 4 door 2wd Yukon/Tahoe frame work (if i narrowed the frame in the middle?)
2) Would any 2wd truck frame work? RCSB possibly? or are the completely different?

A couple side questions: ON 2 door Tahoe's, is a 4x4 considered a 2500 chassis, and subsequently taller than a 1500?

Thanks for helping out the new guy.

Adrian

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easiest route: sell the 4wd and buy a 2wd. Easier said than done, I know.

If it’s gonna be full custom and you’re a fabricator, buy a C1500 (2wd) front clip and get to fabricating. The 2 door chassis is shorter than the RCSB truck chassis.

2500 vs 1500 is just GVWR, nothing to do with being a C or K truck. Though it could have an impact on weight ratings.

Karolko

Reaction score
Okay cool. I have no problem splicing in the front of a 2wd unit.

I think the next question i would like some clarity on is frames: Can i assume that a 6 bolt 4x4 tahoe is a 1500 frame, so the same thickness, except the Torsion bar cross member riveted in there?

Or is the 4x4 fact make the frame thickness' much different?

Thanks for the help FancyTBI. Hopefully you or others will chime in and point me in the right direction.

Adrian

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All Tahoes are half tons (1500).

K1500 (4wd half ton) will have 6 lug wheels
C1500 (2wd half ton) will have 5 lug wheels

I think the next question i would like some clarity on is frames: Can i assume that a 6 bolt 4x4 tahoe is a 1500 frame, so the same thickness, except the Torsion bar cross member riveted in there?

Or is the 4x4 fact make the frame thickness' much different?
The frame should be the same thickness whether it’s 2wd or 4wd IF you’re comparing half tons.

It is my understanding that with these trucks (let’s stick with Tahoes for simplicity) the frames are the same from the firewall back to the rear. Up front and the torsion bar mount is where they differ. 4WD trucks don’t have a crossmember under the engine like the 2WD trucks do. 2WD trucks have upper spring pockets. The shock mounts are different, too.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The cross members are bolted in, easy to remove or bolt in. No rivets.

I could be wrong however I don’t see why you couldn’t use the 4x4 frame and simply remove control arms, trans, t-case, and driveshafts. Then swap in a 2wd cross member control arms, and trans. Leave the torsion bar cross member in place for rigidity.

With your fab skills any differences between the 2wd frame and 4x4 could be overcome without grafting half a frame under it. Swap the 2wd control arms in and weld on spring supports?

Last edited:

Karolko

Reaction score
95 burban, that’s the plan: I’m planning on a 5/7 or 6/8 drop and/or channeling the body.

Going to do a LSA motor with 6l80e so if I have to cut up the floor I’m fine with that too. It has to sit right, but I do like static drops over air bags…

Photo below is of my 47 with 6.0l ls with turbo. On s10 frame. Static drop.

Attachments

• D20EDFCE-1A48-42E0-81DE-DB31A37C13F5.jpeg
    D20EDFCE-1A48-42E0-81DE-DB31A37C13F5.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 5

Karolko

Reaction score
This is really what I was hoping: that 4x4 and 2wd frames were the same firewall back. Should make life easy or easier I should say.

Is there a better 2wd frame year I should go with? 96+ or will 88-98 be all the same ?

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is really what I was hoping: that 4x4 and 2wd frames were the same firewall back. Should make life easy or easier I should say.

Is there a better 2wd frame year I should go with? 96+ or will 88-98 be all the same ?
Honestly, I don’t know. There are minor changes I’m sure. For simplicities sake it’s probably best to get something as close as possible. On the other hand… you could probably make something work regardless.

Please start a build thread for this!! We definitely want to see it!