Illumination fuse keeps popping (SOLVED)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know how it would help either, but is ammeter for amperage? I don't know all the tools.
Yes, an ammeter measures amperage.. BUT... it's not like the other settings on your multimeter. Know what amperage the circuit can pull before you put your meter leads in line, or you'll be shopping on amazon for a rare-size fast-blow fuse for your meter. Feel free to ask me how I know. I avoid using the amperage setting unless I'm using an amperage clamp.

Reaction score
So I am having the same problem and after pulling my whole dash bezel and cluster out and exposing all the wires I’m not seeing anything tried disconnecting stereo still pops the fuse. I had all that aftermarket remote start trash and I too removed all that. When this issue first started I tried a bigger fuse out of curiosity and when I turned on my lights the fuse for my night time lights popped. I need help here I’m running out of ideas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 5

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I am having the same problem and after pulling my whole dash bezel and cluster out and exposing all the wires I’m not seeing anything tried disconnecting stereo still pops the fuse. I had all that aftermarket remote start trash and I too removed all that. When this issue first started I tried a bigger fuse out of curiosity and when I turned on my lights the fuse for my night time lights popped. I need help here I’m running out of ideas.

Damaged trailer connector wiring is a usual suspect for random lighting issues, it’s worth a quick check.

Otherwise, the factory manuals can be downloaded at this link. It’ll have the wiring diagrams for your year so you can see what is on the popped fuse(s).

Reaction score
Damaged trailer connector wiring is a usual suspect for random lighting issues, it’s worth a quick check.

Otherwise, the factory manuals can be downloaded at this link. It’ll have the wiring diagrams for your year so you can see what is on the popped fuse(s).

I have the manuals they are handy. I’ve kinda been over the plug but maybe I’ll replace it all together because it has given me some issue in the past and now when my night time lights are on my trailer lights flicker when I step on the gas or hit big bumps but I can not get them to flicker by wiggling the plug or wires going into the plug or any other wire on my entire truck. I’m also thinking there’s a chance it could be my switch because I noticed the fuse pops when I turn the dimmer switch to full brightness. But even before the fuse pops I have no lights illuminating my cluster

Reaction score
I’ve replaced dimmer switch and climate control module and tried unplugging the stereo. Still nothing. Can’t find any evidence of a burnt or exposed wire anywhere. Tried unplugging cluster in case a bulb in it was the culprit, that didn’t work. I noticed the fuse doesn’t blow unless I have the dimmer all the way up but even before the fuse blows I have no illumination

Whaley08

Reaction score
sorry man, in wrong. 14 has nothing to do with the interior lights... 14 must just be dash lights. I assumed these were integrated for some dumb early morning not finished a coffee yet.... I'm getting you some schematics... brb
Hey I am having this same issue. Did you ever find a wiring diagram for schematic for fuse #14. Put a new fuse in, works fine for a bit then just randomly pops it. Can not figure it out to save my life and can’t find a schematic anywhere online