Illumination fuse keeps popping (SOLVED)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
all of the components in the dash do have illumination in the switches. same in the door. on the door it's a brown wire. on the dash it's a grey wire. there is a purple/white wire that sends the signal for dimming the dash lights, not sure where it runs too.

Okay so I just noticed something on the schematic... fuse 14 is NOT any of the door window switches, or the mirror. so forget about the door... it's fine.

fuse 14 is only for this section.... so that narrows things down to just the dash switches. it could very easily be a problem with the way the radio illumination is wired... it's on fuse 14. say if they didnt use this wire and then it hits a part of the frame under the dash.... would pop the fuse.

focus on these components...
You must be registered for see images attach

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all of the components in the dash do have illumination in the switches. same in the door. on the door it's a brown wire. on the dash it's a grey wire. there is a purple/white wire that sends the signal for dimming the dash lights, not sure where it runs too.

Okay so I just noticed something on the schematic... fuse 14 is NOT any of the door window switches, or the mirror. so forget about the door... it's fine.

fuse 14 is only for this section.... so that narrows things down to just the dash switches. it could very easily be a problem with the way the radio illumination is wired... it's on fuse 14. say if they didnt use this wire and then it hits a part of the frame under the dash.... would pop the fuse.

focus on these components..
Thank you, this does help narrow it down.

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
say if they didnt use this wire and then it hits a part of the frame under the dash.... would pop the fuse.

This goes into the radio. Gray wire goes to the orange one on the right. It is frayed. Both the orange and blue are cut.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
OH your almost there! see I like to solder and double wall shrink wrap aything like this. But I suppose the butt end connectors should work inside the truck, it's just not my style and I would never put these outside.

is this behind the radio?

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OH your almost there! see I like to solder and double wall shrink wrap aything like this. But I suppose the butt end connectors should work inside the truck, it's just not my style and I would never put these outside.

is this behind the radio?
Yes it's behind the radio, and I also like solder and shrink better. This is just how it came. I can redo it solder, but I don't have any shrink rn I'm thinking it shorting on the radio metal housing maybe?

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Blue didn't connect to anything in the plug so figured pulling it out wouldn't hurt anything. Is that ok for the orange too, since the illumination is unused here? Just keep it pulled out like I did?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
absolutly! do you have a multimeter to test for voltage and verify that the blue wire has power? I think it should and your right.

Blue wires behind radios can be for a remote accessory on or like an automatic antenna that rises when the radio has power... I have an RV deck sitting here that says the blue wire is for a powered antenna. the trailer never had one and this was just capped and wired out of the way...

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I have no idea what the orange wire could have been... obviously the blue wire and orange wire are coming out of the plug that was used to wire the radio, right. so they have nothing to do with the trucks schematic....