Illumination fuse keeps popping (SOLVED)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That white wire runs into this mess down here, and I also discovered a box that says "valet", clearly some aftermarket crap, that doesn't work anymore and I want to get rid of
You must be registered for see images attach

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sorry man, in wrong. 14 has nothing to do with the interior lights... 14 must just be dash lights. I assumed these were integrated for some dumb early morning not finished a coffee yet.... I'm getting you some schematics... brb
No problem, and thanks

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Illumination circuit... (dash gauges and any other buttons, ect.)

courtesy lights (interior lighting plus cargo light)

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Illumination circuit... (dash gauges and any other buttons, ect.)

courtesy lights (interior lighting plus cargo light)
Uhhh, thanks but the only this I understand on here is what color the wires are! This is the first time I've actually used a diagram, could you please explain it a little

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
basically all of the lines are positive wires, at least on this diagram. there are different components such as a fuse, light bulbs and switches, these are labeled and self explanatory. there are also ground wires that are not listed but look like this...

these are relatively simple circuits thank goodness! All the vehicles that followed... gmt800's... have computers inbetween everything.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
these diagrams are nice for the fact that if they show a switch, like the headlight and panel dimmer switch shown below, they show the internal circuit, box it off and label it. same with the fuse block above... they dont show all the fuses but only the relevant ones, fuse numbers may be wrong and remember there are 2 fuse blocks, 1 under hood and the one in the dash.

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
these diagrams are nice for the fact that if they show a switch, like the headlight and panel dimmer switch shown below, they show the internal circuit, box it off and label it. same with the fuse block above... they dont show all the fuses but only the relevant ones, fuse numbers may be wrong and remember there are 2 fuse blocks, 1 under hood and the one in the dash.
Alright thanks, I'll try and pick at it a little. Borrowed the Tahoe's switch to see if that was the issues, but the it still pops, so switch seems to be fine.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
its always nice to have known good components for testing! sometimes that's the only way to test it... like the headlight switch. its known to go bad and can really only be tested with a good one. of course you could remove it and bench test it but you need tha diagram and some testing equipment.

so think about where a problem could occur... in the door would be my guess. hopefully, where the wires run through and you can find the problem without actually goin into the door. theres also potential rain water landing on these switches, or maybe the window leaks. but these scenarios should really only be a problem when its wet out and they are shorting out because they are wet. doubtful. what about coffee or drinks spilled? on the dash 4x4 switches or maybe the radio? doubtful but the lights for all these components are the illumination circuit.

I bet it's in the door where the wires run through in a bundle. they are in here... a brown wire....

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its always nice to have known good components for testing! sometimes that's the only way to test it... like the headlight switch. its known to go bad and can really only be tested with a good one. of course you could remove it and bench test it but you need tha diagram and some testing equipment.

so think about where a problem could occur... in the door would be my guess. hopefully, where the wires run through and you can find the problem without actually goin into the door. theres also potential rain water landing on these switches, or maybe the window leaks. but these scenarios should really only be a problem when its wet out and they are shorting out because they are wet. doubtful. what about coffee or drinks spilled? on the dash 4x4 switches or maybe the radio? doubtful but the lights for all these components are the illumination circuit.

I bet it's in the door where the wires run through in a bundle. they are in here... a brown wire....

Hmmmm, po installed aftermarket head unit that has its own lighting control, but yes the 4wd and climate controls have no lighting besides the indicators. I don't know about any drinks, I've only driven it 27 miles since I bought, which includes initial drive home. Illumination was working before, but I was in the door panel addressing some rust. May have bumped a wire or something, I just know I have to start following the wires.