Fuse #4 keeps blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Okay so I've checked all over the internet and I have found nothing on the subject.
I've ran multiple tests so I may be leaving something out.

Fuse #4 instrument cluster/DRL relay
short circuit on my 98 Tahoe Z71 4x4 5.7L

So I replaced my radiator the other day. I get the new one on and I fire it up and it dies immediately..
It keeps doing this over and over. It will bust off for half a second then it dies..
I check my fuses and I notice there were a couple fuses blown. #4 and #5 I believe.
I replace them and truck fires right up. I let it idle for a good 15 minutes then kill it thinking I'm ready for work In the morning..
My girl gets in it in the morning to go put gas and whatnot and I receive a call saying she is broke down on the side of the road.
When I get there sure enough fuse #4 is blown.
I replace it and as soon as I turn the key to the on position it blows.
6 hours later I'm getting pulled home by my father in-law.
I got an old headlight bulb (single filament) and hooked it up to the power on the battery.. then took the other wire and touched it to the seat for the fuse.
The bottom terminal turned the light acting as the ground.
I'm stumped...
I've also unhooked the brown wire from the alternator and again.. blows the fuse.
I hooked the light up to the fuse again and I started unplugging relays and fuses in the fuse block under the hood. Nothing made it turn off.
It stayed grounded.
I took the the whole cluster out, unplugged the drl relay from the courtesy box above the park brake lever and left the brn wire from alternator unplugged.. still blows.

What am I missing? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would pull the upper fan shroud off and double check the harness that runs across the core support, could be pinched when you swapped the radiator, if I remember correctly it has head light wiring in it.