Push button 4wd works temporarily after pulling fuse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrCinnamoney

Reaction score
97 gmc suburban k1500.
Running into an issue when trying to engage 4wd drive with push button on dash. When I push 4hi on the switch the 4hi light will flash once on touch and I hear a click from Tccm, but it stays in 2wd. I pull fuse #2 for tcase and reset it, then I am able to turn on the vehicle and push the button for 4hi and drive in 4wd. I did play with it a little more, but after a couple times of switching between 4hi and 2hi, I noticed that it would revert back to the old behavior and not change at all. Once I got stuck in 4hi, but turning off the vehicle and pulling/resetting fuse #2 got me back in to 2hi.
I did the dct test, jumping pin 4 with pin 13, the switch on the dash would blink 1 and then 3. Going on blink 3 diagnostic code i checked the connectors on the transfer encoder motor and all were clean (surprisingly for a 27 year old vehicle, no corrosion and plastic looks new in there).
I replaced the switch on dash, and actuator on the front diff since it was cheap and easy, but not sure what else I could try.
The part that is throwing me off is that pulling and resetting the fuse allows me to bypass the issue (for now).
Any thoughts?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why do you need a 4wd in California?? Kinda sounds like motor is sticky. Try pulling it off, cycling the buttons to go in every position n see how/what it does.