Ignition lock cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reservoir dog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drove home for lunch , could not turn the truck off , 1994 k1500 Blazer. The lock cylinder is stuck in the run position, it would turn forward to the start position but not off . Shifter will move to all gears . I dropped the steering column and can move the rod, it does not feel locked or seized but the cylinder will not move back nor will the key move. Any thoughts other than a new cylinder?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Drove home for lunch , could not turn the truck off , 1994 k1500 Blazer. The lock cylinder is stuck in the run position, it would turn forward to the start position but not off . Shifter will move to all gears . I dropped the steering column and can move the rod, it does not feel locked or seized but the cylinder will not move back nor will the key move. Any thoughts other than a new cylinder?
Not unless some of the linkage is in the wrong place or position, but you've looked at that. Dad and I went through several of the early GM (pre airbag) columns, but too many years ago to remember a lot. Good luck!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here. The 1st sign is you can't turn it back into accessory, then it starts getting hard turning off the engine - you have to wiggle it back and forth. I changed the cylinder before it got to your point, ha ha.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Super easy job, honestly.. done several for the same reason. Either won't shut off, or won't go to ACC. You'll need a steering wheel puller tool and lock ring depressor tool, both of which can be borrowed from the auto parts store if you don't want to buy them.

Richard

jus10inbrla

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still need to do mine. All of the videos i watch make it look harder than i hope it is.. its more than steering wheel puller. You also need a bearing puller i beleive as well to get the other part off

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Super easy job, honestly.. done several for the same reason. Either won't shut off, or won't go to ACC. You'll need a steering wheel puller tool and lock ring depressor tool, both of which can be borrowed from the auto parts store if you don't want to buy them.

Richard

I still need to do mine. All of the videos i watch make it look harder than i hope it is.. its more than steering wheel puller. You also need a bearing puller i beleive as well to get the other part off

You can believe me or you can make it harder than it is. :D

Richard

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When the service and repair manuals are available for free. How does guessing benefit anyone?

reservoir dog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its not that bad, been 40 yrs since I had a steering wheel off. You will need a steering wheel puller, 12 bucks at NAPA, a lock plate tool 12 dollars as well and the lock cylinder was 14.80. A couple of picks are handy to remove the circlip ring thing. Its a puzzle so just pay attention or take pics.