Ideal Cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kamd90Chevy

Suthrn1
Reaction score
so i've got a 90 5.7 thats stock and im looking for a beefier cam seeing how its one of the weakest parts of these engines...do anyone know how big of a cam i can have on these heads stock? i am looking at this area here. that's a "Towing" cam and think i wouldnt be pushing it too hard. any suggestions?

Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Duration 259/269, Lift .420/.455

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
out of all the cam's i've run in 5.7 blocks, ones simmilar to that grind were what i was MOST pleased with in my DD. match it up with some 373 or 410's and you'll see that truck completely change attitude

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Average max valve lift for the tbi and vortec heads is ~.470"

So you're well in the clear with that cam, you could actually go higher lift and get a bit more torque.

Kamd90Chevy

Suthrn1
Reaction score
oh and WFO i have the 3:73 factory package already...that's the only reason i believe the truck has the get up an go it does already. i mean we all know they are torque houses to begin with...but i just feel that a cam and light head work would open up the motor. already port matched my manifolds (until headers), hi-flow cat and flow 40 dumped. so exhaust is squared away. runnin 31x10.5's on the rear with 2" lowerin shackles. so that helped the constant spin some. dash is funky off now tho...posted in interiors lookin for an answer how to correct it

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ya might get better results if it's posted in electrical....I know there's a manual way of correcting the final drive ratio in the ecm via a 7-way flip switch, but I'll have to find the write-up on it again.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
oh and WFO i have the 3:73 factory package already...that's the only reason i believe the truck has the get up an go it does already. i mean we all know they are torque houses to begin with...but i just feel that a cam and light head work would open up the motor. already port matched my manifolds (until headers), hi-flow cat and flow 40 dumped. so exhaust is squared away. runnin 31x10.5's on the rear with 2" lowerin shackles. so that helped the constant spin some. dash is funky off now tho...posted in interiors lookin for an answer how to correct it
4.10's would make it snappier.

Kamd90Chevy

Suthrn1
Reaction score
but with the 700r now, i was pushing 3100 rpms at 70...4.10's would make that worse tho wouldn't it? i do decent highway driving to school

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
hmmm, that sounds awfuly high. if that is how high ur rps are in OD then stick w 373 fo shizzle. however, 4.56s would make it like a drag truck... prolly never get good traction... lol