I want your opinion - Full Front End Rebuild C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just replaced upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends and sleeves with all new MOOG stuff. I did the pitman arm and idler and idler bracket maybe 6 months ago cause they were bad, super sloppy. I also did replace my rag joint. Its pretty tight now. I guess we'll see how long this stuff lasts. I didn't do control arm bushings though. Also put in Energy Suspension spring spacers. Got it aligned today and it rides good. It does do this weird pop if I go over the little speed bumps in my neighborhood. Almost like something shifting when the suspension unloads. Its like a muffled bump or thud if that makes sense. Doesnt do it any other time, pulling in the driveway, turning, etc. Weird. I'll have to take a look again.

Question for the OP, are your upper control mounts knocked out for alignment? Mine is like -2 deg camber but my knockouts are still there so we cant adjust camber or caster yet.

Hmm that’s Interesting issue you got but yes my knockouts are taken out and I’m maxed out in trying to get my chamber back in the position direction to be within spec. Last time I had it aligned the guy ****** with it for almost 4-5 hours and did the best he could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mykvr6

Reaction score
Hmm that’s Interesting issue you got but yes my knockouts are taken out and I’m maxed out in trying to get my chamber back in the position direction to be within spec. Last time I had it aligned the guy ****** with it for almost 4-5 hours and did the best he could.

Yeah I need to check out my noise. I also need to knock out my knockouts. My truck interestingly enough is one of the ones that has the cam bolts installed from the factory but the knockouts weren't knocked out! GM did some funny stuff with these trucks. I got my aligment today with the spring spacers. I got right about 2" of lift with the energy suspension spacers so my camber is about -2 degress on both sides right now. I guess my next project is getting the knockouts done so I can throw some bigger tires on the truck.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I will say I definitely decided against the moog ball joints. I’ve been hearing bad and same from all my buddy’s saying there’s only last a year.

I out in and take out so many Moog products now , quit putting them in. From what I've read and heard federal mogul has purchased them and just about every other major name doing bearings and suspension parts, they all have a eljin stamp on em and are all "pre-torqued" ( wheel bearings I mean, the rolled edge on the back to preset preload). I just quit using them. I have went to all Detroit axle stuff on work I do out of my garage at home and we use it here at the shop quit often too, as for bearings, Detroit makes a good one and I'd rather have a "mechanics choice" over a moog. Just can't believe a good name is now crap. Hell even *** bearings from Germany was bought by Federal Mogul, junk there too! Only issue I've seen with Detroit suspension parts is the rubber looks like it dries up quicker than the others, haven't replaced any and did my truck 3 years ago, tb 3/4 cranked with 35s and neither Detroit bearings or steering components are bad yet. I get my truck up on the hoist every two weeks or so for one project or another and check em alot. So far so good ND they are dirt cheap too. Say 10 yr warranty but as cheap as they are if I do em every 3 years , hell with a warranty

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Try oilfield lease roads sometime, that'll have you replacing parts every couple miles :rofl:

I replaced everything on my front-end with Moog several years ago... All these "Moog went to crap" posts are leaving me a little worried now. I haven't had any issue with mine, but then I've barely driven it in the last two years....

Cng2500hd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I out in and take out so many Moog products now , quit putting them in. From what I've read and heard federal mogul has purchased them and just about every other major name doing bearings and suspension parts, they all have a eljin stamp on em and are all "pre-torqued" ( wheel bearings I mean, the rolled edge on the back to preset preload). I just quit using them. I have went to all Detroit axle stuff on work I do out of my garage at home and we use it here at the shop quit often too, as for bearings, Detroit makes a good one and I'd rather have a "mechanics choice" over a moog. Just can't believe a good name is now crap. Hell even *** bearings from Germany was bought by Federal Mogul, junk there too! Only issue I've seen with Detroit suspension parts is the rubber looks like it dries up quicker than the others, haven't replaced any and did my truck 3 years ago, tb 3/4 cranked with 35s and neither Detroit bearings or steering components are bad yet. I get my truck up on the hoist every two weeks or so for one project or another and check em alot. So far so good ND they are dirt cheap too. Say 10 yr warranty but as cheap as they are if I do em every 3 years , hell with a warranty
I just checked out Detroit axle and I like the prices if it's good quality I may have to try them out.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Try oilfield lease roads sometime, that'll have you replacing parts every couple miles :rofl:

I replaced everything on my front-end with Moog several years ago... All these "Moog went to crap" posts are leaving me a little worried now. I haven't had any issue with mine, but then I've barely driven it in the last two years....
Interesting to know how MOOG quality seems to have fallen off a bit. Back in the day that was the best stuff for steering and suspension parts. That's what we always used on our vehicles, good durability. Wonder if nascar still uses them or if it's just a sticker now....