I want your opinion - Full Front End Rebuild C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have a 1998 C1500 ECSB with a 4” spindle lift kit. I am doing a complete rebuild with new parts, upper and lower control arms, tie rods, and so on. What brand would you go with and what site would you order from? Rock auto will rob me on shipping and summit will rob me on part price. Any other websites to check out?

Also steering shaft, what upgrades can I do there? Am I best off just getting a new rag joint or is there another option that dosnt require cutting and welding something.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Donning my flameproof suit and P95 mask............

Moog steering parts, yes. Stay away from Moog balljoints. Not just me, when I asked around after my Moog uppers began showing wear at 10k, auto repair shop said they have had Moog balljoints come back on them in recent times. Apparently over the past 4-5 years Moog has moved production of some items to CoronavirusLand.

Replacing the Moog lowers with Mevotech TX's improved my steering more than all new Moog steering parts and balljoints did.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Moog steering parts, yes. Stay away from Moog balljoints. Not just me, when I asked around after my Moog uppers began showing wear at 10k, auto repair shop said they have had Moog balljoints come back on them in recent times. Apparently over the past 4-5 years Moog has moved production of some items to CoronavirusLand..

Moog doesn't seal the boot to the ball joint like they should be doing for some reason. The original parts on my truck were sealed, and some aftermarket boots are sealed in the pictures, but not when you get the product. Our upper ball joints, at least on the 4x4s, see too great of angles to rely on a non-sealed ball joint in my opinion. I went with some cheapies for the uppers since paying for Moog wasn't going to get me sealed boots there and the uppers aren't that hard to replace.

All of the Moog stuff I've purchased has been made in the USA.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Mevotech TX's are really beefy looking, and the boots are sealed with a wire ring. But appearance don't mean squat, so I'll reserve judgement until they get more miles on them. I replaced the Moog uppers with Proforged prior to replacing the lowers with the Mevotechs. Now I am tempted to put the Mevotech TX's on the uppers.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
See I have had heard terrible things about the moog ball joints and wearing pre mature. Even my buddies had issues. So far that I was going with ACDelco professional upper and lower control arms for the hopefully better ball joints. Rest of the front end with most likely be mevotech parts including the heavy duty TX tie rods. I also ordered some ball joint spacers to help the angles on the upper arms.

Any reason I should get a new center link? I was going to do it just because but then again it could save me $30 bucks lol this order with shipping is going to be like $800 from rock auto haha

Well let me know if I’m forgetting anything or if there is something I should change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk