I Gotta Know!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I once had a customer ask me for a quote to produce something for him so I gave him a price. He came back and said it was more than he wanted to spend and asked how much to just knock something up quickly so I gave him the same price. He was confused until I explained that the quickly version will take just as long to produce as I don't sacrifice my standards for anybody. It's your reputation on the line and that is more important than some cheapskates budget.
:cheers: happens to me quite frequently, Everybody wants show car paint , not alot willing to pay for it, and in reality, cut and buffed, onion slick, show worthy isn't always what's needed. Their idea of acceptable and mine might be in two completely different places. I can either put the Maaco to it, or a show car finish.....not both at a budget price point. I quote a price , they come back telling me they'll pay me 2-3 k less, I start asking if they want me to use cheap shyt paint and lacquer primer, but chances are I'm already done with them wasting my time. I can work with people to get somewhere in between as far as outcome and durability etc. if their expectations are realistic.

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I once had a customer ask me for a quote to produce something for him so I gave him a price. He came back and said it was more than he wanted to spend and asked how much to just knock something up quickly so I gave him the same price. He was confused until I explained that the quickly version will take just as long to produce as I don't sacrifice my standards for anybody. It's your reputation on the line and that is more important than some cheapskates budget.
Same when I work on vehicles here at home. They do it my way with the correct parts or I refuse to touch it. I do not do band aids.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Try working in the industry for 40+ total years as a tech and then service manager and also working on the side at same time in my driveway. Then a break for about 8 years where I was in a different industry but still did side work and now retired and working out of my driveway at 71+ years old. I get a little stiff and aches but when I am doing the work, I feel fine. I always work smart and not hard and never try to do it as fast as I can. The money I charge is not for speed. It is for correct.
My aches and pains come from crashing BMX bikes as a kid, wiping out on skateboards as a teenager (including many runs down the parking garages of downtown Houston), motorcycle crashes, some years turning wrenches as a mechanic's helper, a lifetime of turning my own on numerous projects, and 20 years as a car snatcher which some may not get this but at times it can be very physical work, many of them simply aren't hook-and-book.

At 53 I find myself spending more of my off time literally being just off. I've got a pile of various projects to get to that need some attention, but finding the ambition to dig into them is tougher these days! That's the cost of still working like I'm 30 years old - in fact I think I'm working harder than I used to.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My aches and pains come from crashing BMX bikes as a kid, wiping out on skateboards as a teenager (including many runs down the parking garages of downtown Houston), motorcycle crashes, some years turning wrenches as a mechanic's helper, a lifetime of turning my own on numerous projects, and 20 years as a car snatcher which some may not get this but at times it can be very physical work, many of them simply aren't hook-and-book.

At 53 I find myself spending more of my off time literally being just off. I've got a pile of various projects to get to that need some attention, but finding the ambition to dig into them is tougher these days! That's the cost of still working like I'm 30 years old - in fact I think I'm working harder than I used to.

Richard
Never did the BMX, skateboards or dirt bikes but put a lot of miles under my ass on a Harley for 35+ years. Some of it with a hardtail where the only shock was low air pressure in the tires. That contributed to sciatic nerve problems and back surgery. My Harley riding days are over. Bending over under a hood can get to the back eventually. Even with a lift, at 6'4" tall, I had to bend and slouch under the vehicle.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never did the BMX, skateboards or dirt bikes but put a lot of miles under my ass on a Harley for 35+ years. Some of it with a hardtail where the only shock was low air pressure in the tires. That contributed to sciatic nerve problems and back surgery. My Harley riding days are over. Bending over under a hood can get to the back eventually. Even with a lift, at 6'4" tall, I had to bend and slouch under the vehicle.
Did the Bmx, skate, half pipes, etc here as well, 3 back surguries later , done with bikes, though once upon a time I built a hardtail....quickly it got sold. Just no.. not happening.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did the Bmx, skate, half pipes, etc here as well, 3 back surguries later , done with bikes, though once upon a time I built a hardtail....quickly it got sold. Just no.. not happening.
My last 2 were rigids. Open roads aren't so bad with them, but in the city, holy crap. These streets will bounce you right off the damn thing.

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My last 2 were rigids. Open roads aren't so bad with them, but in the city, holy crap. These streets will bounce you right off the damn thing.

Richard
Mine was Evo ,5 speed on a Kraft-Tech frame, couldn't do it. Worked at a bike shope so was always grabbong /buying take off stuff and cobbling stuff together. Couldn't say how many softails I did with mostly take off stuff. Score an engine someone replced with an S&S etc. Bought every engine I could.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OBSOkie