I blew my g80 up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avilleg0

Reaction score
i have a 1988 c1500 sbc with a g80 3:43 gears with 250,000 miles on it. I did a 5.3 4l60e (stock) swap about 2 years ago and i work on it when ever i have spare money and time. Last week i freshen up the transmission put a stout shift kit in it with some fresh clutches. This morning i went out to run some errands and i got on it from a 20 mile roll and hit 2nd gear. I heard a loud pop sounded like my drive shaft came out turned out something metal tore out of the diff cover.My passenger axle wanted to come out i think i granaded my g80. My question is what should i upgrade to for the future my plans are around 450hp for this truck later on. Thanks

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
14 bolt no question I'd like to see pics of the 5.3 swap also

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
14bolt would be nice but you gotta do new axle shafts to be 5bolt lugs

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Not nesicarrily there are 5 bolt 14 Bolts or you could convert to 6 lug

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
These were in mid '90's GM station wagons. Unlike a Gov-bomb, they are rebuildable & can be modded with stiffer springs and clutch packs made of different materials. This carrier fits inside the housing you have now.

You must be registered for see images attach

And yea, it's all still inside a 10 bolt, (not as beefy as a 14b!) but they will take a bunch more power/abuse than the G80. More predictable in their lock-up characteristics, too.
If you go to this, a complete bearing kit install would be a good idea.

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not nesicarrily there are 5 bolt 14 Bolts or you could convert to 6 lug
I kno their aren't 5 lug 14bolt axles stock but I meant as is switching for 5lug. Me personally since its a 2wd an my own truck is 2wd its more money for me to convert the front to 6lug. Plus I wanna keep my current wheels.
These were in mid '90's GM station wagons. Unlike a Gov-bomb, they are rebuildable & can be modded with stiffer springs and clutch packs made of different materials. This carrier fits inside the housing you have now.

And yea, it's all still inside a 10 bolt, (not as beefy as a 14b!) but they will take a bunch more power/abuse than the G80. More predictable in their lock-up characteristics, too.
If you go to this, a complete bearing kit install would be a good idea.
Hmmm haven't actually thought of the 90s station wagon axles! Were they in everyone or most? Are the axle mounts where they bolt to the leaf springs in the same place?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I kno their aren't 5 lug 14bolt axles stock but I meant as is switching for 5lug. Me personally since its a 2wd an my own truck is 2wd its more money for me to convert the front to 6lug. Plus I wanna keep my current wheels.
Actually there are stock 5 lug 14 bolt axles; they were used in the 454SS. Brakes on the 454SS 14 bolt are the small ones though.

As far as converting a 6 lug 14 bolt to 5, I guess you overlooked the pic I posted.

Hmmm haven't actually thought of the 90s station wagon axles! Were they in everyone or most? Are the axle mounts where they bolt to the leaf springs in the same place?
He's not suggesting you use the whole rear end, which btw is coil sprung and on a trailing arm type setup. He's saying you can get the posi carrier from it and use it in your existing housing.

Richard

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Moser will drill and fill the axle shafts for about 80 bucks, 10 brakes bolt on in place of the 14bsf from the axle flange out. Just get one from a 6 lug C2500 with the u bolt plates and a conversion u joint.

avilleg0

Reaction score
this is the most recent one not the cleanest but i did due it in a driveway