Blew the 400 up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
400 small block blocks have 3 freeze plugs on each side of the block. The smaller displacement blocks do not have this (only 2 per side).
Yes, the early 400s had 3 on each side.

Later blocks had two plugs, with a non-machined boss for the center plug. The latest blocks had the usual two core plugs with no center boss just like the other small-blocks.

"In general" and with exceptions, the 3-core-plug blocks also had 4-bolt mains. But things were kinda goofy with the 400s, I've seen a block that was drilled but not tapped for the outer bolts, and had 2-bolt main caps.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Later blocks had two plugs, with a non-machined boss for the center plug. The latest blocks had the usual two core plugs with no center boss just like the other small-blocks.

"In general" and with exceptions, the 3-core-plug blocks also had 4-bolt mains. But things were kinda goofy with the 400s, I've seen a block that was drilled but not tapped for the outer bolts, and had 2-bolt main caps.
I have also seen the 400s weird in the oil pan and timing cover area. Seems some of the 400s kept the older tinware longer, changing the thickness of the seal compared to a 350 of the same year.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
LOL, that is the second time in all of an hour I have been told that in so many words today.

Guess he didn't like hearing that he got ripped off by somebody telling him it was a 'Built 400!'

Maybe he tore it apart more and took measurements only to find out it was a .030 over 305 with a factory crank and cam

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

Would a 400 ever have had the cartridge type oil filter instead of a spin on type? I have a 3 plug a side engine in my shop that is set up that way. Appears to be all original....my cousin got it many years ago in a trade and doesn't remember what year it's supposed to be or what car it came out of.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would a 400 ever have had the cartridge type oil filter instead of a spin on type? I have a 3 plug a side engine in my shop that is set up that way. Appears to be all original....my cousin got it many years ago in a trade and doesn't remember what year it's supposed to be or what car it came out of.
It is possible it was converted to canister, but I believe GM had changed to spin on before the 400 came out in 1970.

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And you will get your ending. I got running about end of February. And this thing has LOADS of power now. It does need the computer reprogramed but I'm not messing with it. It will cough out a bit under heavy load. It runs out of air and fuel at about 4100. Needs injectors new prom more fuel pressure. But I'm going 1406 Edelbrock. Qjet is under heavy modification right now.
You must be registered for see images attach