Hows this for an engine build?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
This is my plan to build an engine for my Suburban as a replacement. The stock motor is still fine, just old, but I want a backup motor with a bit more kick in the pants.

My goal is a torque engine, good power, nothing high rev, thinking 5000 max rpm. Messing around with a couple pieces of dyno software I think I can expect something around 260hp and 350ft-lbs tq.

Block: 14010207. 80-85 350 block, cars/trucks, 2 bolt main, .030 over. Rebuilt with all new bearings, new 30 over pistons, polished crank.
Heads: 14102193, stock TBI heads. Going to be port matched and polished, and gone through pretty good. Gonna clean up the chambers, unshroud the intake valves a bit and smooth out the spark plug bosses.
Intake: Stock TBI intake, port matched and polished with ultimate modded TBI sitting on top.
Cam: Edelbrock 3702 TBI cam, installed straight up
Valves springs: Edelbrock 5802 springs, 80 lbs. Comes with the 5894 valve spring and retainer set.
Rockers: Comp cams 1417-16 Set, Magnum roller tip rockers 1.52 ratio.
Valves: Summit Racing stainless undercut, 1.94/1.50
Fuel Pump:Vortec pump EP381, running 15-16 PSI at the injectors (will adjust as needed)
Computer: Custom fuel maps using Moates.net APU1 adapter, Wideband O2, and Tuner Pro RT
Timing: Edelbrock 7800
Head gaskets: Felpro 7733PT-2. 4.125" bore, .039 installed thickness
Intake Gaskets: Edelbrock 7201, keeps all factory ports open for EGR and heat port for intake.
Ignition: Accel cap/rotor/wires/coil, CR43TS plugs gapped at .042
Exhaust: Full Hooker. Long tube headers, 2 1/4 true dual, comp mufflers, no cats
Comments/Suggestions?

Last edited:

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
sounds like you did your homework,,im in on this thread,,gonna be a stump puller compared to what ya got now,,

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
I haven't built an engine from scratch in many years. I find it quite fun actually, both the research and build.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you wanting your power numbers at the wheels or crank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Why keep any one the tbi stuff the heads and intake manifold are some of the worst flowing units?

Adam

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
They get a bad rep because they don't do well for high rev horsepower, but do great for torque if you open them up.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why keep any one the tbi stuff the heads and intake manifold are some of the worst flowing units?

Adam

X2 do the Edelbrock intake, heads and cam someone on TYF has a 95 Tahoe they did that along with some other engine work came out pretty nice

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i wouldnt spend a dollar on onay valves for tbi heads honestly, if anything grab a set of tpi 350 heads or find a set of used world s/r torquers or something around those lines as well as a carb intake and adapter. forget anything tbi besides the tbi unit itself. also you wont need 15-16 psi with that combo really.

as for iginition stuff, delco, msd i like. my friend uses delco, accel on all his stuff and does fine. otherwise you can use whatever you want on a sbc mallory and msd spell bad news with lt1's though.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
I can get a set of 193 heads for cheap cheap in good condition. Doing the work myself, so no money spent there. Valves are kinda still up in the air as to whether or not I'm gonna get them, though. I still have plenty of time to adjust as necessary, hence the reason for advice here.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
no i get the reasoning but plain out tbi heads really really really do suck. i know you like cheap who doesnt but you hae time shop around a bit and see if you can find something different because in the end youll be alot happier. same on the intake, porting it out really wont get you that far. ive ported both the heads and intakes from these motors and barely got any gains from what my time was worth that i put into it.