Cheep build advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wife told me to buy parts. She's mad now but hasn't revoked permission lol. Truck 95 k2500 sclb 5.7 4l80 410 gears and 245/75/16. It blew a head gasket and torched the block and head. 130k mile truck. It also has the low stall converter. 14 bolt sf axle. I'm using it to haul stuff, pull a car trailer but will spend most of its Tim on the highway at 80 to 90 mph so 2400 to 2800 rpm. Truck is over 8500gvw so it's got the deep dish pistons.

My plan is to rub parts together with one of the other roller cam blocks I have. Flat top pistons, ported 193 swirl ports and this https://www.ebay.com/itm/3949451129...t4o3AY1QRG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Intake. I'll deal with the center bolt angle. Long tube headers and full duel exhaust with a cross over x pipe. No egr no cats. I'll tune the computer.
Wondering what I should be looking at for cam specs. Detonation could be a problem with the compression. Summit had a bunch of sbc roller cams cheep in barging bin. I think the swirl ports should help avoid detonation but not sure what I should look for in icl, duration etc to work for this. Thanks

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck 95 k2500 sclb 5.7 4l80 410 gears and 245/75/16. It blew a head gasket and torched the block and head. 130k mile truck
I can’t help but all I can say is my truck is the same and the same thing happened to me when I bought it with 148K miles.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheap? I'd go with a junkyard Vortec cam and a set of 1.6:1 rockers. Spend $30 on the cam and $110 on the rockers and you'll have right around .450" lift with a slightly longer duration.

Otherwise you're better off calling your favorite cam company and asking their recommendation.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Find a cam that matches the RPM range of that intake and you should be good to go. When I am searching for a cam I'm looking at the RPM ranges where that cam makes power especially the torque range. You say you want to run 24-2800 so look for a cam that gives the best torque in that range. The best power maker is port matching. Don't be afraid to grab the die grinder and rotary files and fit that intake to your heads and your heads to your exhaust. I'm sure there are boobtube videos out there that explain how to do that and if you have good common sense you can figure it out for yourself.