How to: Install DIC in gmt400 overhead console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
right now without changing the wiring or soldering, when i turn on ignition it has readings(avg mpg 999 avg speed was 256 lol) for the same 30 sec that it will show temp and then goes to -- for everything except compass, so hopefully it will work with larger wire(fishing line is bigger than what i am using now) if not then maybe it does not work with diesel

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
it is #16 on the radio for the vss which is dk green/white and then the purple wire on the aldl connector for the serial 2

if for whatever reason that vss wire wont work then i will wire it directly at the drac where the vss signal comes from

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that doesn't work, and bigger wireing don't work I guess it dont work on diesels........... Keep me updated!

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I used 18 or 20ga wire for mine, looks like you got the wires right.. they're a pain. I tested my VSS by measuring the voltage and driving around my shed. It is possible that it dosent work on the diesel trucks, since they are missing some sensors that the gassers have in the air intake, and from what I understand they use the incoming air and a/f mixture to calcuate the mileage, could be wrong but thats how my obd2 software does it.. theres a few diferent way too though.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
tied larger wire to it without solder and same deal, all the displays exc remaining fuel work for about 60 sec and then go to --, the average speed is way off too it gets up to about 368 mph avg just backing up, i need to find someone with a s10 or bravada with a display to plug mine into to test it and get an idea of what is going on.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is going into the 98 right?? I tested it in my truck before I shipped it and everything was working fine:think: I wonder if it's not something to do with it being a diesel...........

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
This is going into the 98 right?? I tested it in my truck before I shipped it and everything was working fine:think: I wonder if it's not something to do with it being a diesel...........

yes the 98, how long did you test it for? it seems to stop displaying after what seems about a minute and then only the compass functions so if you only quick tested it for less time than it takes to stop displaying then in theory it could still be the unit but i have a feeling you are right and it may just be the fact that this truck is a diesel but then again its still obd II and hooking a snap on m2500 to it displays the throttle so you would think this display could see that signal too.
it does recognize when it does the -- thing that the temp sensor is hooked up as the farenheight F is displayed until i unhook that lead and if i hook that wire back up the F pops back on, the light dimming works properly so that also is hooked up right.

i may just try to hook it up to the 98 k3500 gasser that my buddy has and see if i get the same result if i cant find anyone close with a s-10/bravada/astro with the dic, maybe i did something to it while hooking it up, who knows, at this point i just wish the temp worked as that is what i would have used it mostly for anyway.