How to: Install DIC in gmt400 overhead console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i totally want to do this to my 98 now, i wonder how it would work with a diesel , i would guess since the economy and range in those are calibrated for a v6 that they would be a little off, i wonder where i can find one of those displays around here, not much for junkyards anymore

I don't see how its calibrated for a v6, mileage = distance traveled/gals used. Don't matter what size engine you have. The range part might be off seeing as we have bigger fuel tanks. I would try it, you would at least know the temp part will be right lol......

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
i'm assuming these things use the map/O2 sensor data from the pcm and the VSS to detect the mpg

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so in regards to the v6/ v8 calibration I noticed there are a few astro vans equipped with the same d.i.c. Unit... U guys think this would solve ur problems..?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I don't see how its calibrated for a v6, mileage = distance traveled/gals used. Don't matter what size engine you have. The range part might be off seeing as we have bigger fuel tanks. I would try it, you would at least know the temp part will be right lol......

the instant economy would be effected by the # of cylinders

thanks to paul (1997chevydriverhttp://www.gmt400.com/forum/member.php?3536-1997chevydriver)i will try to wire mine up tomorrow and find out i guess

Last edited:

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I take it yours showed up today?

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

yes it did, already popped the unit into the console and will figure out the wiring tomorrow

thanks for getting it sent out right away, i won't be able to sleep tonight now that i want to see it all lit up :)

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes it did, already popped the unit into the console and will figure out the wiring tomorrow

thanks for getting it sent out right away, i won't be able to sleep tonight now that i want to see it all lit up :)

No problem. I try to get them shipped shortly after payment.

Took a little longer than normal because I didn't have to go into town till Wed. but they were closed so I got it shipped on Thurs!

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
well got mine in and the compass works, the temp works for about 40 seconds and then disappears until i start the truck again and get another 40 sec.

none of the other things work and i didn't solder anything as i could not find my solder, i am going to try to solder it yet tonight if i can find it and try to get the vss signal from the drac instead of the radio, could too small of a gauge wire cause it to not get any readings??? i used a 9 wire cable from a trunk mount cd changer and was really small wire.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Do you have the OBDII serial data wire connected? Also which wire did you connect to for the VSS?