How to get rid of jack holder in truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtie-72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The one in my truck was broke off when I got it. So I went to the junkyard and found a nice complete set in red like I wanted. I didn’t want to tear it up with my vice grips so I found a couple of nuts on an alternator bracket on an Olds Cutless a couple of vehicles down. Sprayed it with blaster, double nutted it, and it walked right out. Getting my old one out was another story. The bottom was so rusty I couldn’t get it to back out. I didn’t want to heat it with the torch because of the interior. So I put a cutoff wheel on my Dremel and cut it off flush on the inside, then doused it with Blaster and from the underneath with my Vice Gripes on what was left walked it right out. The “new” one went right in with the double nuts. That little Torx end isn’t worth a crap because it is too small and will just strip. THEN, if that doesn’t work you can hit it with your purse.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The top of that shaft piece is a actual hexagon shape like a bolt head. At least on my truck it was. I think it’s a a 5 maybe 6 mm socket. Why are you getting rid of the spare tire tools?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The top of that shaft piece is a actual hexagon shape like a bolt head. At least on my truck it was. I think it’s a a 5 maybe 6 mm socket. Why are you getting rid of the spare tire tools?

This is like the 3rd time I've been out to the garage and forgotten to look at mine..... ok, going out now. My hold down stud is round at the top, It has a hex at the base, which would require a VERY deep well socket to install.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ll see if I can find mine. I know I used a socket to remove it. Maybe it came on early years as mine was a 89.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now you guys made me go out and look on my 88! It's either that allusive 5.5mm, measured 5.51mm with calipers but couldn't get them straight plus, I can't find my 5.5mm socket AGAIN! A 12 point 7/32" fits but, a little loose. Maybe a 6 point would work in a pinch? Either way, it won't hold up to any amount of torque.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Sorry for the late update lol, anyways I tried to use the two bolts and it started to work and then I put a little too much in it and it snapped off Under the plastic and it all came out. I’ll get pics of it later today if I remember.