How to fix old/rotted chrome side trim.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mysilvi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a nice project with good looking results. After see how it goes it would be a better idea to tape it all off prior to sanding as to not scratch the paint. As far as a red stripe this leaves the door open for some nice original colors..

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone! I was seeing where people would just remove the trim after it started getting nasty, i figured this could save some people a little money.

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
I scuffed mine with a scotch brite pad, cleaned it with acetone, then sprayed it black with duplicolor trim paint.

You must be registered for see images attach

i accually really like the all black. i honestly wish i did that instead!

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
not bad at all.... but i would just be lazy and remove all the molding and replace it with new molding.... or leave it off.

also to anyone removing your molding just heat up the molding OR on a hot day in the sun just peel it off. a bondo spreader works good to start it and the rest you can typically just pull off. BUT BE WARNED just incase your trucks been repainted cheap paint job the paint could either peel off around or under the molding OR you could find a different color under the molding.
but if the paint is stock and in good shape it should come off with very little problem. and to clean up ANY left over double sided tape 3M eraser ball and a power drill! WORKS GREAT just get 2 to start out with to do the whole truck. i used 3/4 of one on a long bed box alone, for awhole truck it would probably take 1.5 so just buy 2. that eraser ball works great! just a big rubber eraser wheel you can put into a drill. wont damage the paint.

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
not bad at all.... but i would just be lazy and remove all the molding and replace it with new molding.... or leave it off.

also to anyone removing your molding just heat up the molding OR on a hot day in the sun just peel it off. a bondo spreader works good to start it and the rest you can typically just pull off. BUT BE WARNED just incase your trucks been repainted cheap paint job the paint could either peel off around or under the molding OR you could find a different color under the molding.
but if the paint is stock and in good shape it should come off with very little problem. and to clean up ANY left over double sided tape 3M eraser ball and a power drill! WORKS GREAT just get 2 to start out with to do the whole truck. i used 3/4 of one on a long bed box alone, for awhole truck it would probably take 1.5 so just buy 2. that eraser ball works great! just a big rubber eraser wheel you can put into a drill. wont damage the paint.

Yea I did one side like a year ago and didnt do the other side until now. because it's such a long process of peeling off the plastic and painting, it took me a good hour or so sitting in the sunlight.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
If I just do one side and spray it with chrome spray, will it look much different than the other side? BTW, the other side is spotless, that's why I'm only doing one...

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Why didn't you just take your time? If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to have the time to do it again? Where did I read that? lol

It is an improvement, but you made more work for yourself by not taping off a larger area, and I see some gouges from the knife and/or sandpaper.
Spending an extra few minutes on preparation here and there, will result in a higher quality product, every time!

Good work though man hope to see the skills improve as you & your rig grow old together!

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Why didn't you just take your time? If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to have the time to do it again? Where did I read that? lol

It is an improvement, but you made more work for yourself by not taping off a larger area, and I see some gouges from the knife and/or sandpaper.
Spending an extra few minutes on preparation here and there, will result in a higher quality product, every time!

Good work though man hope to see the skills improve as you & your rig grow old together!

This is how much I taped off when I painted mine black, can you say paranoid? :rofl:

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
This is awesome. I was just looking at mine today and thinking this crap has to go. The plastic is all peeling off and stuff. I'm thinking body color for mine. I'll post pics when I get it done. Gotta order the paint.