How much paint needed for truck paint job?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi, pretty soon here im planning on repainting my truck. I have got all materials around except paint. I got a 95 1500 reg cab long bed and am going to be painting it the stock emerald green metallic paint with the silver metallic on the bottom(from the bodyline down). Im not sure how much paint to buy. I will be painting the door jambs, back of cab, front of bed, pretty much everywhere except inside of bed. Im thinking of getting omni or shopline paint.I will need sealer, the green and silver base coats, and clearcoat. How much paint and clearcoat would be needed?????

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First off, DONT BUY OMNI!!! That junk comes out of your gun like koolaid, seriously not a good product. I bought a gallon of it years ago, and its still sitting full in the shop. Use PPG Deltron BC/CC, I've been spraying it for years and it is by far my favorite paint. Always has an amazing finish when done. Dupont also makes a good product. And be sure to use a good sealer prior to laying down the base, you don't want rings or edges coming through your base.

As for how much paint, a gallon of base coat will suffice. But you might need more then a gallon of clear, some trucks end up with more. It all depends on how many coats of clear you lay down. It's always good to have plenty of clear on, so when you cut the paint you don't burn through anyplace. And also with a good amount of clear on, you can get better depth out of the paint as well! Just my .02!

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd say quart for the bottom to be sure 2 if you want to be sure and have extra, and at least a gallon for the top half to be sure. Then clear a full gallon, but to do jambs and such I'd get an extra quart if they have it so you can really lay it down, like 4 or more coats, but that's me because I like to cut and buff.

If you don't need to, a gallon of clear should get ya a couple coats and be enough.

DR CHOP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some colors and paints cover better than others, that makes a difference in how much paint it will take. Also the sealer will help with coverage of paint if it's tinted the same color.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I am painting my K5 blazer door jams, cowl, and under the hood. With 3 coats of primer, I have used 1 gallon of primer and haven't started on actual paint yet

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd say quart for the bottom to be sure 2 if you want to be sure and have extra, and at least a gallon for the top half to be sure. Then clear a full gallon, but to do jambs and such I'd get an extra quart if they have it so you can really lay it down, like 4 or more coats, but that's me because I like to cut and buff.

If you don't need to, a gallon of clear should get ya a couple coats and be enough.
Do you think 2 quarts would be enough to paint an ecsb from the body line down?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you think 2 quarts would be enough to paint an ecsb from the body line down?
Depends what paint you buy, the Omni being discussed from my experience is some no covering crap. More expensive paints typically have more pigment per volume. 2 quarts of PPG Dbu that reduces %150 yes, Omni you need to put 5 coats on to get coverage , no. Most paints call for a tinted sealer these days.

Can you buy solvent base or even have it shipped in, in Cali.? Waterbase can be problematic diy outside a booth without tons of airflow.

This is really old thread where many of these guys might not hang around, start a fresh thread.

Last edited:

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends what paint you buy, the Omni being discussed from my experience is some no covering crap. More expensive paints typically have more pigment per volume. 2 quarts of PPG Dbu that reduces %150 yes, Omni you need to put 5 coats on to get coverage , no. Most paints call for a tinted sealer these days.

Can you buy solvent base or even have it shipped in, in Cali.? Waterbase can be problematic diy outside a booth without tons of airflow.

This is really old thread where many of these guys might not hang around, start a fresh thread.
I did and there was only one response lol