How many use their trucks as true daily drivers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i've had my 95 since 97, not as daily thou. Now I only use it when the 97 needs work :)
I use the 95 for towing the RV and other pleasure use duties.

The 97 is my daily for around town, taking the pooch out to the back 40 for a nice walk and when it snows.
The 97 4.3/5sp definitely gets better gas mileage compared to the 95.

Most of the time, if the wifes's coming, we use her subaru, since it gets way better gas mileage.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 88 in 2002, it was mainly for dump runs and to pick up lumber for my hobby. It sat parked under a liquid amber tree for years in Merced CA :rolleyes: . We always had at least 2 other vehicles for our daily drivers. Every once in a while our daughter's car would break down (more often than not) and I'd loan it to her until she can get it fixed (up to 6 months at a time). That's when it became a DD. :( Sometime during this period, the odometer quit working so, I don't really know how many miles it has on it. My son figures it has over 300K but, who know?. After what I've stuck in it, she AIN'T driving it anymore. When my wife and I go somewhere we'll take her car since she hate's climbing into it (OK with me). Now that I'm retired and the kids have decent rides, it's gonna sit in the shop collecting saw dust until I get pissed and take it to the car wash :anitoof:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought an '88 GMC in early '98. Drove it exclusively till I melted the tranny plowing in the winter, early '14.
Used my Jimmy a couple months, and got my '00 Denali in July '14. Swapped over the snow plow, and its my daily.

So, with the exception of 6 months, I've been rocking GMT400s for 23 years.

Now I've got an '89 I'm restoring, a rotbox '98 Suburban that is headed for the boneyard, and a "new to me" 1995 2500 chassis cab to replace it.

Of the five I own, I'm gonna pare down to three. A multi seating "luxury" SUV plow truck, a blown AWD stepside muscle truck, and a baja offroad inspired 2wd clean daily driver.
Because GMT400 trucks are the "most dependable, longest lasting trucks on the planet"

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My Burb didn't start out to be the daily driver. We bought it in February 2013 with the idea that it would be the swap meet or going to the wrecking yard truck, because the 06 Yukon XL Denali was Dad's daily driver. Also the truck for family trips since it has functional AC and heater, heated seats, Bose stereo, etc. And Mom had her car, that was also newer than the Burb. So it barely got used for the first 4 years we had it.
Then the newer stuff started breaking in 2017. Mom's car quit ( Chrysler Pacifica station wagon is a Mopar when you drive it, but a Mercedes to fix. Many of its parts are specific to this model, only built for 5 years 2004-2008). The Denali followed suit; the same week that the brake hose collapsed on the Burb, the 4L80E in the Denali decided to kill it's temperature sensor ( so it goes into limp mode even though the trans isn't actually overheating!). We were already having expensive LS problems with it, and having both trucks on flatbeds in the same 24 hours is not cool!
So, once I got the brakes squared away on the ol Chevy Burb, it's been going where we needed it to (except for the passlock issue, but that's history). The longest it's ever sat idle is a couple weeks last year when we had our blue oval adventure. Since then, the longest time without being driven somewhere was the 4 days we didn't work or go anywhere during the winter storm this February. Just today, Mom and I went to 3 Walmarts for our jobs,in 3 different areas of Houston. 50 miles or so round trip, on the surface streets and coming home from the last store in NW Houston on 290 and 610 freeways. It'll keep up with the traffic, handles well, hauls well, and just generally does its job, with way less BS than the newer ones. 203,000 and change, not all city miles though ( it has been on the road trips a few times, and loaded up if it's to a swap meet or car event).
And even in its slightly scarred and washed-by -the-rain usual appearance, it's often the best looking truck in the parking lot ( unless there are other 400s there too lolol).

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I bought an '88 GMC in early '98. Drove it exclusively till I melted the tranny plowing in the winter, early '14.
Used my Jimmy a couple months, and got my '00 Denali in July '14. Swapped over the snow plow, and its my daily.

So, with the exception of 6 months, I've been rocking GMT400s for 23 years.

Now I've got an '89 I'm restoring, a rotbox '98 Suburban that is headed for the boneyard, and a "new to me" 1995 2500 chassis cab to replace it.

Of the five I own, I'm gonna pare down to three. A multi seating "luxury" SUV plow truck, a blown AWD stepside muscle truck, and a baja offroad inspired 2wd clean daily driver.
Because GMT400 trucks are the "most dependable, longest lasting trucks on the planet"

My first driver was an 88 C1500 back in 2001. Since then I've never been without a 400. I got my current K1500 back in 2009 and it has always been a DD. It sometimes takes turns with the dually like right now where I'm in CA for a few months for work, but yes to the OP I do rely on these dinosaurs to get me to and from work every day.

Macs Garage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 GMC K2500 "classic" I bought a few years ago to use for plowing snow. The Truck was rusty, dented, interior filthy, and engine noisy. But it was a bad winter and I was desperate. First year just used it to plow. Then my son got his driver's license and started driving my good truck. I started driving the plow truck everyday. I have painted and replaced the box and cab corners, replaced the 5.7 vortec, rebuild the front end and fixed a ton of little things. Front fenders and rockers are rusty and my next project. I have had compliments on what good of shape it is for its age. I wouldn't be afraid of driving it anywhere. I have a lot time and money invested in getting it this way, but still a hell of a lot cheaper than a new truck!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
As long as I owned my '97 K1500 I depended on it. It was my only vehicle. The one time it let me down was when the starter motor crapped the bed. But being what it is, I crawled underneath and just hit it with a rock until it engaged and got it fixed at home. Now you get the new stuff like this:

You must be registered for see images attach
couldn't imagine trying to fix that on the side of the road.

Reliability is not just something that runs most of the time. Everything breaks and wears out, so it's also a matter of cost and fixability. If I can fix it in a driveway for $100 once a year, that's more reliable than something that goes into de-rate because of a sensor and leaves me stranded with a multi-thousand dollar tow/repair bill once every 5 years.

That's why we love these trucks

Any idea what that transmission/starter combo is from?

I used to drive my truck daily, but I don't anymore. It used to do 100 miles round trip 5-6 days a week. I drove the 3 year 36,000 miles warrantly out in about a year.... well, 30K of it. The original owner put the first 6K miles on it.

I may return to driving it this winter if I don't find something else to drive quick.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daily's a 165k mile 2006 Mustang. I'm planning on selling the Mustang and buying a 2019 Miata next year. I briefly considered selling the Mustang now while it's worth near $10k and stashing that money until car prices drop back down and I can afford the Miata, but I don't trust my truck that much yet. Sure enough, the day before yesterday my wife's Chrylser 300 started acting up, and she drove the Mustang to work. She's not willing to drive the truck.