How many use their trucks as true daily drivers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnk2500

Reaction score
I got my 95 k2500 ext cab long box a little over a year an half ago. As soon as I seen it on craigslist I just had to have it. Paid 2300 for it and been working on it ever sence. I put alot of time and money in it but I drive it every day. Its definitely the go to ride, if me and the wife feel like going on a trip that's what we take. Not afraid to take the ol gal anywhere.

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought my 1990 in Arizona in 2007 ( 3rd owner) 2nd owner only had it a month, sold it to me because it used too much gas. Used it only for towing and big jobs around the house till I gave my S10 to my son in 2009.Then drove it full time untill August 2012, then put it on the container with our household stuff when moving to Puerto Rico, then was I driving it about a day or 2 a week ( wife mainly) untill last October when I retired. Now it's driven about 4 or more days a week because it has A/C and summer hasn't left the island yet. ( The old Sunbird doesn't)

Bought Mileage 69k. Current Mileage 114k.

Doug in P.R.:cool:

Last edited:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. Everyday.
The older I get, the more I pick the truck.
I have several fun to drive cheap econo cars.
But I in the last couple of years I pick the big gas guzzling rolling armchair.
Because its just comfortable.
And I can fit all of the spare parts that I may need in a shoebox.
I can repair it in any parts store parking lot in all on the US and Canada and Mexico.
And that may not be true for the Nissans or for sure the Volkwagens.
Im at about 260k
I could check the oil, fill it up, wash the windows, buy some beef jerky and Cheetos
And drive it to Detroit.
I dont have that confidence in any of my other cars.

wirlybird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had my '97 Tahoe LT 4X4 2 door since new so that's about 24 years?! 322,000 miles so far on the original engine.
Just bought a matching, year and color that is, '97 K3500 4X4 dually which will take over some of the duties of the Tahoe so it can live an easier life now!!
I have no intention of selling the Tahoe and eventually it will get a complete interior redo and body/paint redo.

You must be registered for see images attach

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Somebody fu*king make this a sticky
I believe that the gmt400 platform is the last of the vehicles that we can own and repair ourselves in the middle of noplace with limited parts.
And you can always find a way to get down the road without the dealership.
I will drive my old beat up truck from Seattle to Boston without a care.
If I took my Maxima on the same trip.
I would be doorknob dead in the middle of shitsville looking for Nissan parts
Maybe I have to stay in town
That never turns out well.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
I use my 97 C1500 as my DD. I bought it a week after I turned 18(now 29). Nearly 11 years later I've put about 130K on it, had the engine replaced after I bought it(thanks, rodknock!), 3 transmissions, and currently has 422K on the clock. There was a time when I was younger I thought about trading it in, but mainly because of the jobs I had when I was younger, I couldn't really afford something else. Despite how many repairs I've made to this over the years, it has almost never let me stranded. I think only twice has something so bad happen, I couldn't fix it on the side of the road(like blowing a head gasket!)

Since I started working at the place I'm at now, this has allowed me to make more efficient repairs, as well as getting some trivial things working. I spent the last ten years without AC and I'm so glad I was able to get that to work. Although still no heat. Once I get my front suspension rebuilt, I wouldn't hesitate to take this across the country.

I'm glad I decided to keep the truck, as now it has become sentimental and has an interesting story. Also, how often do you come across one of the trucks with 400K+ miles?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got to drive my 14 1500 today(yes it is as funny as it sounds). It lives 45 miles away from me at SHMBO house. We had to make a run to menards to get stuff to work on her house. Well we didn't get everything we needed so I ran over to local store. Long story short I drove my 95 instead of the 14 even though I had to walk over to it to get the keys for my 95. Shows how much I prefer driving my old shiitbox instead of the newer one.