How many use their trucks as true daily drivers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought my 96’ 4.3 5sp two years ago cause I knew the lady selling it and she sold it to me for $750. It sat for four years. I now daily drive it to school every day, 15-20 miles each way. It’s only broken down once in a parking lot. Otherwise it’s been stuff I’ve fixed before it actually finished breaking.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Suburban is my daily in as much as it is the only functioning vehicle I possess - but isn't used daily as I work from home and can be grounded for a week or so. Then the 'Burb will do 160 mile trips without hesitation - or just the couple of miles and back to the village for shopping.

For how much longer? Until fossil fuel is no longer available. So far so good!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I would trust either of my road worthy trucks for long trips but I cant afford the gas for daily. (1997 K3500 454 Dually and 1993 K1500 305 5-speed) I have a 2014 Chevy Cruze ECO with the 6-speed manual for daily, 40+MPGs no matter how I drive it! I have 160k on that car and only needed front brakes so far.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Any idea what that transmission/starter combo is from?

I used to drive my truck daily, but I don't anymore. It used to do 100 miles round trip 5-6 days a week. I drove the 3 year 36,000 miles warrantly out in about a year.... well, 30K of it. The original owner put the first 6K miles on it.

I may return to driving it this winter if I don't find something else to drive quick.
Not sure, but the cars in the background are a Lamborghini and a Bentley, so something pricey. That's even worse than the LT1 where the distributor is behind the water pump, and the Northstar with the starter in the valley under the intake manifold. But if you can afford those cars in that shop, you're way better off than most of this forum....

reservoir dog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've only had my 94 since 2018, I only drive 3 miles to work but it is my favorite . I've got a few things I need to do to it before I would use it for a long trip. My suburban is the vacation vehicle and the jeep is just for top off weather. The blazer is just so much easier to get around town in and park than the burb, turns almost as tight as the jeep. I have 23 working days left until retirement , Whoooooo Hoooooo, then the Blazer gets the attention it deserves.

Zerio29

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any idea what that transmission/starter combo is from?
It's actually in one a range rover... can't remember exactly which year. It's ridiculous though... not sure which mechanic got with the engineer's wife, but he was feeling pretty petty i guess

But yea, if you want to fork out the extra cash just for the prestige factor of owning one... pretty sure you can't complain about the repair bill - but it still does nothing to fix it up if you're stranded somewhere on the road - again... reliability means more to me than just that.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can I really call my trucks daily drivers if I switch between them regularly? :lol:

Seriously though, they are my primary mode of transportation and I intend on keeping it that way as long as I possibly can. They've both been in the family since new (almost 25 years...) and they've been extremely dependable that entire time. For the same reasons mentioned in the OP, I really have no desire to own any vehicle produced after 2007 or so.