How long should rear axle seals last

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my truck was making a lil noise when braking so took it to the shop I always go to, have them do everything I don't care to do, and they said the axle seals are starting to leak thing is they did them 2 years ago and its only been about 24k miles since then, is it just me or shouldn't they last longer?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
I would think so, although I have found that aftermarket parts never seem to last as long as original.
Did the axle shafts have a groove worn in them the first time?...that will cut down on how long they last. You can get seals that move the wear spot a bit

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would think so, although I have found that aftermarket parts never seem to last as long as original.
Did the axle shafts have a groove worn in them the first time?...that will cut down on how long they last. You can get seals that move the wear spot a bit

Not sure ill ask them, I was hoping like 50k outta them lol

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If the axle vent is plugged, they won't last long at all. Remove the hose and try to blow through the hose and vent. Often, in rust belt areas the metal tube in the housing can close up with rust as well. To remedy this correctly you would have to remove the cover, and clean out the tube.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did they change the bearings at the same time? If those are worn it'll eat seals.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the axle vent is plugged, they won't last long at all. Remove the hose and try to blow through the hose and vent. Often, in rust belt areas the metal tube in the housing can close up with rust as well. To remedy this correctly you would have to remove the cover, and clean out the tube.

I'll have to mention that

Did they change the bearings at the same time? If those are worn it'll eat seals.

Nope, there gonna check them too

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Axle seals should last longer than 24k. My '98's originals went after almost 250,000 kilometers. (180,000 miles) The ones in my '97 are still the originals after 100,000 miles. There's a reason that they've gone south after 24k. I'd guess that the bearings are the culprits. Along with the vent tube prob. mentioned, which I've never had a prob. with, but is certainly a possibility.
I'm with you on getting others to do the jobs I don't want to. I hate gear lube!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
There's lots of reasons why rear axle seals don't last:

bearings, seal running surfaces, seal construction, scored axle tubes (usually happens when removing old seals) etc, etc.

I've even seen seals installed backwards.

You must be registered for see images attach

24K is too low though.

Something's not quite up to *****.

I usually clean the seal running surface with a little crokus or emery cloth. If your fingernail hangs on a "mark", it's probably going to roach the seal quickly. Then clean it with brake clean and give it a mild touch of gear lube just so it slides through nicely. I also check the length of the axle shaft for nicks or burrs. I don't let the splined end touch the seal when installing.

The seal I install with the proper driver (or a tool I make to match the diameter) and touch the outside sealing surface at the axle tube with a thin coat of RTV before driving it home. If the surfaces are good, the RTV just gets pushed out. If the surfaces have an imperfection, the RTV fills the void.

I've never had a comeback for a leaking seal when following those few simple steps.

Bearings are a bit of a red herring if they're smooth and noiseless if you ask me, but always worth a check if you're in there anyways.

I've seen far more axle shafts require a seal running surface "shrink sleeve" than a wheel bearing. I have used "offset bearing kits" before that move the bearing and seal surface in (or out) on the axle shaft to "virgin" running surfaces. I don't know if those are even available for a corporate 10 bolt.

Seal running surface is the usual culprit of early wear out of axle seals in my experience.

You can check the axle vent but I've never seen that either. But it's free and easy, so why not?

I've also seen low oil in the diff burn out a seal, but it usually roaches the bearing along with it so you never know if it was heat in the seal/axle interface or the wheel bearing heat that did the dirty deed.

:)

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
my friends 98 has stock seals and he has 320k on it. so they should last, if they go bad theres something wrong or the seals faulty but they should have initally been inspected upon removal to check for any issue.