how hard is it to replace headlinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
since my headliner is falling off I want to remove it and do a custom design. how hard is it to do? do I just rip it off and glue new cloth on? is it ok to drive without a headliner for awhile?

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
I would buy a new headliner IMO. You will have to take out a window to get it in though.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
PITA!

The a-pillar and the window trim has to come out. Then the side panels in the back of the xtended cab which are a PITA. Then the roof trim at the back, which will probably break off all it's clips.
I had to remove the seats so I could have enough room to maneuver it without bending it. It has some flex, but it you go too far it will make a "snap" noise and it will be permanently "hinged" at the crease point you just made.

Then you have to strip the sagging fabric off and remove all the "fuzz" padding from the cardboard backer board.

The you can start making your design and glue it to the headliner board.

Now you get to go through all the joyous fun of putting it all back together.

You can just pull the fabric down and reglue something up there. The "fuzz padding" is actually part of the fabric. Once the fabric de-bonds from it, you cannot glue anything to the fuzz. In order to get something to hold, you end up saturating the fuzz and everything just gets totally frigged up after that. Even if you get something to hold, you'll be wearing it as a hat again within 6 months.

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well if it's that much of a hassle, maybe I should just rip it all off and be done with it

DR CHOP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have removed them without removing the xcab pieces all the way just popped the tops of extra cab pillars toward center of cab. I didn't remove the plastic above the back glass either. A pillars werer also reoved and i did remove the front seats. Patience and more patience is the key. No glass was removed and headline was removed out passenger door . There was flexing , nothing too crazy.
Wire brush all fuzz of and take headliner into a shop and have it done with the proper glue (no rattle cans ever work). My guy does them for $100 with material, at that it's not worth upholstering it yourself.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've never had to remove a window to do a headliner, except for the older Volks Beetles & 1st/2nd gen Mustangs.
A wire brush may be a bit harsh on the panel itself, as the panel is made out of a pressed fiber of some kind. I like to us an 80 grit disc for a DA sander, folded in half.
$100.00 is a good deal for having it done, especially when that includes the correct fabric. By the time you buy the fabric & the glue, you'll have spent probably more than 1/2 that cost.
Be careful around the ends & the holes for the visors when stripping it down. That's the most likely place that it'll break.
This isn't hard to do, it just takes patience.