Hood won’t open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I pull on the cable inside the cab the hood doesn’t release. I replaced that cable a year ago, it was broken inside the cab, but the parts under the hood were fine. I oiled everything under the hood then. I’d take the grill off for a closer look but it seems to bolt up under the hood. Any advice would be very much appreciated

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there a bit of tension still on the cable when you pull the release lever?

Push down on the hood (hard) in case it's partly released. Pull the release lever, go to the front of the hood and give the top of the hood a good whack with your fist right over the latch.

That might work........

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I pull on the cable inside the cab the hood doesn’t release. I replaced that cable a year ago, it was broken inside the cab, but the parts under the hood were fine. I oiled everything under the hood then. I’d take the grill off for a closer look but it seems to bolt up under the hood. Any advice would be very much appreciated
First, have someone hold the interior handle in the release position (or jam it out with something) and give the 'GM hood bang', hammerfisting the corner and center. Often they pop right up. After that, be sure to lubricate everything well. If the cable isn't pulling the release because it's broken again, you'll have to struggle to get at the release catch.

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for those suggestions. There is no tension in the cable, it’s slack and pulls all the way back. And the hood it down tight all the way. I can’t see the cable through the grill, just one hook which I think is the second hook, the one that releases by hand, in front. When I dropped the hood the last time I remember thinking it sounded like an unusually loud bang. I figured that was because I don’t usually drop it

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for those suggestions. There is no tension in the cable, it’s slack and pulls all the way back. And the hood it down tight all the way. I can’t see the cable through the grill, just one hook which I think is the second hook, the one that releases by hand, in front. When I dropped the hood the last time I remember thinking it sounded like an unusually loud bang. I figured that was because I don’t usually drop it
I’ll try wiring the cable handle back and see if I can pull the hood up

Wozny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I forgot the release was down under the floor mat, I was pulling on the parking brake. I took the thing off to get access to the clutch pedal I added when I swapped out the automatic. And haven’t driven it up n two years, still trying to get the master bled. It’s been a few months, so forgot. Well thanks for the good ideas all the same