Hit in rear wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cso21

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
While parked at work my truck got hit in rear wheel. I was out of county and co worker sent me photos. Drove 25 miles home, it drove good, will look at closer tomorrow. Police investigated and should get other guys insurance. Big question is what hidden damage look for. Inpact moved me sideway couple inches

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Probably not much based on what's pretty much a minor impact, but you never know.

This happened to me, in my company truck 2009 Chevy 3500HD wrecker, guy hit the back tires hard enough to break the axle loose off the leaf springs and crammed the tires into the corner of the bed, blowing them out - (that's his headlight bucket caught in my mudflap bracket)

That happened around 2/2012, truck sat while insurance companies argued, almost 4 months. Back on the road around 6/2012 with a whole lot of new parts. Then in 2/2014, the axle shaft sheared off - no way to prove that it was caused by the wreck, but I'd bet money on it, ya know?

Just for clarity's sake that was at the mechanic shop where they had already unbolted the end of the axle shaft, to find it was no longer all 1 piece.

Richard

cso21

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After checking mine, small scrape on paint and scratched marks on rim

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@someotherguy you never cease to amaze me with these pictures and stories you pull out of nowhere once in a while. You've definitely seen some ****.

The pictures of that totaled Olds that hit you reminded me of an old '90s Cadillac that my Grandpa on my dad's side used to have. His looked even worse than that after his incident. Someone on a 50MPH two lane blacktop wasn't paying attention and crossed into his lane at the last possible second. He took the hit head on. Tough as nails was an understatement, he climbed out of it on his own with a broken foot and helped the other people out of their car. Walked away from it but he was never the same after that, that foot gave him trouble for the rest of his life. I'll have to try and find the pictures of the car after the wreck. Everyone I ever showed them to was amazed that anyone could've survived.

Glad you made it out of that one OK, what was the story with the people in the Olds?

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
OP- youll be fine. I had a lincoln slam into the side of mine at 15mphish and the only damage done that kept it from driving was it sheared the alignment pin that goes thru the spring pack to the axle.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah ol boy made it out OK. He did faceplant into the windshield and was bloody from it but no other injuries. We were headed towards each other on a 2 lane and right at a bridge he came across center line, I had nowhere to go. I waited til the very last second to avoid the chance of him correcting/swerving, I swerved towards the right so that he would hit the side of the truck instead of a head-on. He first hit the back of the driver door andcab right behind it, the front corner of the wrecker bed, bounced off that hit the tires, bounced off that and hit the bridge wall.

Those wrecker beds are REALLY thick steel, compared to the truck bodywork. And yep that's the rear portion of the driveshaft hanging down, split at the carrier bearing.

The very first pic where you see the dude in the background wearing the multi-color jacket, that's him. I figured he was drunk, wasted, something. Cop says no, "I've dealt with him before, he's...slow." Yeah, he's driving a family member's car and is -excluded- on the insurance policy. Dude shouldn't even be driving. He tried to tell the cop I was sitting in the middle of the road with my lights off...

Richard

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
cso21...... You should demand the real axle get an alignment. It appears your truck moved sideways and your tire was pushed against the dirt edge. Let alone the POI ( point of impact) was against your tire/wheel/axle.