High performance V6 4.3L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The heads off the 94/95 engines are suppose to be worth 10hp so you might look for a good set.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not bad for a 4.3, but peak hp comes in at 5500 and peak torque at 4700. I can't imagine low end torque being all that great. That setup would work much better in an S10 or a car IMO.

Charlie Bryan

Reaction score
I've got a 91 4x4 RCSB 4.3L 5 spd with somewhere in the neighborhood of 180K on the clock.
I know the 4.3 is basically a 5.7 that's missing 2 cylinders.
I'm planning to rebuild the engine and add a butt load of cool **** to it. I've found the majority of the parts that I wanna use. But, I'm not sure on a few things.
I've found these parts:
4 barrel Intake,Edelbrock carb(500cfm),headers,electronic ignition(complete msd).
I'm still looking for the cam.
As far as internals go every thing from a 5.7 will work
(valves,springs,rockers,pistons,rods...)
How much hp can I expect to gain over its basic 180hp?
I'm not interested in swapping to a V8!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Semper Fi Marine !
As a former GM mechanic and dirt track racer, I'd jump the compression to 10.8 and run 91 or 93 octane if you can get it. Also total seal rings or child's and albert if you can find them.
I had cylinder leak down at 1% after rebuilds and the oil looked like new for a long time.
I did some work at OMC before they went out of business and the marine engine 4.3 make great horsepower so that's a great cam and had forged rods and crank too.
Sounds like a cool build .Good luck.

McBroom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm locate a marine 4.3l engine... sounds like fun...
SEMPER FI Marine. 0317

The Blue Mule

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

McBroom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinkin of an Edelbrock performer and a holly 600 cfm carburetor. I'm gonna have the heads ported to match and a big valve 3 angle with Harland Sharpe roller rockers.
Whatcha think?

The Blue Mule

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't use a carb but I understand the appeal of their simplicity. You can get much better mileage and consistency with fuel injection. It's your truck though, do what you like. I'm curious to see the results either way.

I really like the 4.3s. Everyone loves to talk bad about them and admittedly they're not powerhouses in stock form; but the amount of abuse that mine has taken over the years is incredible and it still runs like it was brand new. They're great engines IMO. It's cool to see someone giving one positive attention at all.

McBroom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Itll be happening in the next few months. The truck has been severely abused and now it's time to begin the restomod. It's full of bullet holes and needs all the glass and a full interior change. Then off to paint n body.
At least most of the body parts are cheap.

The Blue Mule