High performance V6 4.3L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McBroom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 91 4x4 RCSB 4.3L 5 spd with somewhere in the neighborhood of 180K on the clock.
I know the 4.3 is basically a 5.7 that's missing 2 cylinders.
I'm planning to rebuild the engine and add a butt load of cool **** to it. I've found the majority of the parts that I wanna use. But, I'm not sure on a few things.
I've found these parts:
4 barrel Intake,Edelbrock carb(500cfm),headers,electronic ignition(complete msd).
I'm still looking for the cam.
As far as internals go every thing from a 5.7 will work
(valves,springs,rockers,pistons,rods...)
How much hp can I expect to gain over its basic 180hp?
I'm not interested in swapping to a V8!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I've got a 91 4x4 RCSB 4.3L 5 spd with somewhere in the neighborhood of 180K on the clock.
I know the 4.3 is basically a 5.7 that's missing 2 cylinders.
I'm planning to rebuild the engine and add a butt load of cool **** to it. I've found the majority of the parts that I wanna use. But, I'm not sure on a few things.
I've found these parts:
4 barrel Intake,Edelbrock carb(500cfm),headers,electronic ignition(complete msd).
I'm still looking for the cam.
As far as internals go every thing from a 5.7 will work
(valves,springs,rockers,pistons,rods...)
How much hp can I expect to gain over its basic 180hp?
I'm not interested in swapping to a V8!

I am pretty sure that your 4.3 TBI is only 155 hp. There were a few write ups in one of the performance magazines that did what you are planning. If you look you might be able to find them.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As someone who considered building a Vortec V6 for quite a while (and stumbled upon that article in the process), I eventually weighed my options and decided that the money would be much better spent on an LS swap when the time comes. More power for much less time and money invested.

That said, you probably already know that and are wanting to do this because it's different, which is what got me thinking about it initially. As long as you've got the money to burn and are aware that you're still probably going to be putting out less power than a more modern bone stock V8, go for it! I'd like to see someone actually do it even if it's not going to be me. :lol:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're on Facebook look up Twisted 6 (@twisted6luv). He runs a supercharged 4.3L in a 1978 Chevy LUV, and it is awesome.

McBroom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that your 4.3 TBI is only 155 hp. There were a few write ups in one of the performance magazines that did what you are planning. If you look you might be able to find them.
Yeah I couldn't remember exactly what the hp rating was so I just plugged in a basic number.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you're on Facebook look up Twisted 6 (@twisted6luv). He runs a supercharged 4.3L in a 1978 Chevy LUV, and it is awesome.

This is along the lines of what I was gonna suggest. Slap a turbo on it if you won't put a V8 in there, otherwise putting a cam and intake only on a 4.3 does nothing more than make it less gutless.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed, turbo and fuel injection was the direction I was leaning when I thought about this.