High-End Vehicle CD Receivers Going Away?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebigcar

Reaction score
CDs???? I don't even BUY CDs from the bank !!!! Do yourself a favor and rip all your CDs to MP3 and put them on a thumbdrive so you can listen to more than 12 songs without having to swap discs ... (or if ur lazy just download the song from youtube which is already mp3 quality)

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
cd’s have the best audio quality that’s what he’s also saying even phones an iPod players of all sorts aren’t putting out as good quality sound. Now unless you’re a audiophile person who spent $$$ on a high-end digital music player! Sometimes quality is key not quantity maybe he’s planning on or does already have high end components in his 400? So quality would be of concern to not have digital sounds on tracks being played.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CDs???? I don't even BUY CDs from the bank !!!! Do yourself a favor and rip all your CDs to MP3 and put them on a thumbdrive so you can listen to more than 12 songs without having to swap discs ... (or if ur lazy just download the song from youtube which is already mp3 quality)
Just outta curiosity, why would someone wanna downgrade from CD quality to Mp3? If you have to convert formats, stick with a .flac! If your radio doesn't play that format, that might be the universe telling you to get a new radio....

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just outta curiosity, why would someone wanna downgrade from CD quality to Mp3? If you have to convert formats, stick with a .flac! If your radio doesn't play that format, that might be the universe telling you to get a new radio....

This is one of the main reasons I've been looking to upgrade. :biggrin:

The old Pioneer DEH-P880PRS CD players I have in both trucks right now are awesome, but they were made before FLAC and other compressed lossless file formats were really a thing. I have the adapters to run USB drives with them but the only lossless files they can play are WAVs, which take up a ton of space.

MP3 320 is pretty much the bare minimum I can tolerate. If I'm going to the trouble of ripping any kind of analog media I care about, it's going straight to FLAC.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Late to this conversation - I just 'upgraded' to a affordable disc-less Alpine unit (UTE-73BT) and while I am not a fan of the interface it does the job. My audiophile stuff is in my house - I just want decent tunes in my noisy truck :) Micro 64Gb usb drive with FLAC plugged into the headunit does it for me using stock speakers + centre console with amp and factory sub.

Also, pretty dang pleased with how my new switch panel turned out - see here:

Cheers
Mark

Attachments

• 99 stereo and switch panel.jpg
    99 stereo and switch panel.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats a Sundown Audio X10 in 1.5^3ft net tuned to 32hz with port ratio of 16^2in/^3ft and I have a DD Audio DMF 2800 with a run of 1/0 from the Alternator......
You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm considering an Android head unit for Frank mostly for the 10 inch screen.

The chip shortage may be partially to blame.

I know I haven't put a CD in a car radio in like 10 years because I have Bluetooth and a thumb drive with a metric A$$ ton of music on it.

Wife uses BT almost exclusively.

Looks like CDs are going the way of audio cassettes.
I have one and like it.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
How funny... I just went looking for a second Alpine CDE-HD149BT a couple days ago to find out it's no longer available.... :( The DEH-80PRS is gone too?? ... Oh well, guess my Blazer is never getting its Alpine back lol... My current 149BT is in the Sierra and I'm not putting an el-cheapo unit in there!