High-End Vehicle CD Receivers Going Away?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So this probably isn't news to many of you... But as the title states, high end aftermarket vehicle CD players seem to be going away entirely. I just found out this morning that Pioneer and Alpine have both discontinued their flagship sound quality oriented CD players, which is unfortunate because I was considering upgrading my trucks from Pioneer DEH-P880PRS to Pioneer DEH-80PRS receivers. Guess that's not happening now.

After discovering this I started looking around for high end digital media receivers with no CD player, but unfortunately it seems like those are few and far between as well. Sony still makes the RSX-GS9 (at a whopping $1400) but I can't seem to find anything else that's comparable.

Are high end SQ oriented car decks just disappearing from the market entirely?

@Wh4t3v3rs what's your go-to single DIN high end receiver you'd recommend today?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I'm considering an Android head unit for Frank mostly for the 10 inch screen.

The chip shortage may be partially to blame.

I know I haven't put a CD in a car radio in like 10 years because I have Bluetooth and a thumb drive with a metric A$$ ton of music on it.

Wife uses BT almost exclusively.

Looks like CDs are going the way of audio cassettes.

HotrodZ06

GMT400 Collector
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the biggest thing is not many people are buying cd players anymore so manufacturers don't feel the need to build them.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Wow. That just sucks.

I was looking at Crutchfield and many of the Pioneer units are out of stock and sure they have other brands of CD receivers in stock, but in my opinion, Pioneer sounds the best.

I have a DEH-S4220BT in my C1500 and I love it(mostly). I don't like how it gets "hung up" on a track when I'm skipping to particular song. IE: I put in a new CD, skip to song #6 and it stops on #5 or stops on #5 and then immediately skips to 6 and starts playing. Although it may be my particular unit and not the model itself.

Kinda sad to see analog media going the way of the Dodo. I remember growing up listening to vinyl's and cassettes with my dad.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess I'm just old and set in my ways. :lol:

I still use CDs in both trucks daily, but not in the way that most people probably do. I use CD-RWs and burn MP3 320 or better quality files to them. Listen to those tracks for 2-3 weeks until I get tired of them, then erase and re-burn with new stuff. I've got an add-on Bluetooth module with AptX in the red truck, but I can tell a significant difference in sound quality between Bluetooth and playing files directly from a CD so I hardly ever use the Bluetooth. I could handle a flash drive instead of CD-RWs, but I hate plugging my phone in via AUX or USB cable.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The last gasp for CD players.

You must be registered for see images attach

Well...Ebay too, I guess. But my account's been dormant for probably 10 years or so.
I've bought many high-end H/U's & amps from pawn shops. For pennies on the dollar.
6 CD-R's in a stacker is 12 hours of tunes. The only way I used to be able to get consistent music when travelling the mountain passes around here.
With SiriusXM, that's no longer a prob.
It's been a very long time since I even had a CD in a vehicle.

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're building a SQ vehicle, the Sony RSX-GS9 is the only choice! Now with that being said, with today's processors, a source unit like that isn't opted for. You can shape and contour the inputs as well as the ouputs, so almost any source can be used within reason...... if you ask me what I prefer, I like a nice cd/media player with 5 volt pre amp outputs. Day to day, I'm a Kenwood Excelon guy!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now with that being said, with today's processors, a source unit like that isn't opted for.

This is pretty much the info I was looking for without even really knowing it, thanks.

So I guess most people are doing things like EQ and time alignment externally. Makes sense, but it's a shame that there are no simple single DIN sources with those features built in for a more reasonable price any more. (Or are there? Is this stuff available in the cheaper units now?)

Guess I shouldn't be surprised. The decks with the fancy features were expensive when the tech was new too. Just kicking myself for not upgrading to the perfect niche product for me during the 10 year window that it actually existed for a reasonable price. :lol:

I just checked eBay for the DEH-80PRS I was hoping to upgrade to, people are asking over $400 for them in good used condition. That's almost double what they cost new when they were still being produced... That's what actually prompted me to look into this today, I saw a used one listed on FB marketplace for $350 and thought "there's no way this guy's serious..."

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
eBay is the best place and also goodwill online auctions. A lot of old school high end car audio on both.

I’ve been in the market for an old school CD player for the suburban, ya know the awesome green button alpine that everyone had to have in the late 90s early 2000s. BUT I have to figure out how to adapt Bluetooth and still keep good sound quality.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Day to day, I'm a Kenwood Excelon guy!

I just checked the Kenwood eXcelon product catalog and they have a new single DIN CD player that's exactly what I'm looking for! The KDC-X704.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX704/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X704.html

It's really nice to see that somebody still makes a simple single DIN CD player with decent crossover/EQ options and time alignment. The price is right too. Maybe Kenwood saw a gap in the market after Pioneer and Alpine discontinued their flagship single DIN models?

Thanks again!

Last edited: